Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Right I am new to this forum as I am new to Linux. Although I am quite old on PC. Been working on Windows since it got out and now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Hardware and SuSe 10.0

Right I am new to this forum as I am new to Linux. Although I am quite old on PC. Been working on Windows since it got out and now it pis*ed me off for the last time. So I installed the SuSe 10.0 but here comes a bunch of problems. Since I'm new (only tested Mandrake 6.0) I'm not used to the Linux way of loading drivers. The problems are as follows:
    1. Netgear WG311v3 with WEP
    2. Asus P4C800 with integrated sound card (Legacy)
    3. Gigabyte GeForce FX5700 - problems with 3D graphics

So I ask you all nicely to help me with my problems. I like SuSe very much so I don't won't to start hating it because of this.

Thank you

And sorry for the double thread mods I'm new and I didn't know this section exists until now. Sorry

For the netgear wireless card, you might want to look into the netgear website to see if they have any linux drivers first, failing that, you will want to look into ndiswrapper. Basically that allows you to load the windows driver on the linux machine allowing it to work.

I'm surprised the sound card hasn't been picked up and installed by SuSE to be honest with you... try taking a look in YaST at the sound configuration and check it's not muted or something.

for the GeForce, goto www.nvidia.com and download the linux driver from there, also they have simple to follow instructions on the site as for installing the drivers (Note: Install the kernel-source package from yast before trying this, you will need it )
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Well yea the first time SuSe booted there was sound but the second time there was no. I have a p4c800 mainboard but suse sais I have a p4p800. Maybe this is a problem although they both have AC'97 sound card integrated. Can u tell me where can i check if the sound is muted? tnx

Well I'm new to linux and know sc*it about it. I found a recipe howto install my Netgear but don't know how to do it. It says I have to copy wg311v3.inf and wg311v3xp.sys to a local ad hoc directory (and that is where?) and then type:
    ndiswrapper -i WG311v3.INF
    ndiswrapper -l

Where do I type that? I reckon I have to type it in the console.

How do I get to my dvd-rw drive in SuSe? How is it labeled? And where?

And I haven't yet begin to work on graphics.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    the "ad hoc" directory can be wherever you want. All i did to install my drivers was (as root)

Code:
    cd /root
    mkdir ndiswrapper
    cp WG311v3.INF /root/ndiswrapper
    cd /root/ndiswraper
    ndiswrapper -i WG311v3.INF
    The directory can be anywhere since the ndiswrapper -i command will install the inf file in the relevent folder. Then to activate the driver you will need to install the ndiswrapper module:
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    then running:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    should show the wireless device ready for configuration

The DVD-RW drive should just work, try opening K3B (A CD/DVD writing software, it should be able to just write DVD's fine.

I deleted the duplicate thread. Please do not post the same question in more than one section of the forum.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

As already said am sorry for that!

I like the code tnx now I know it kinnda works like command prompt, but how do I get the files wg311v3.inf and wg311v3xp.sys to the root so that they can be copied to /root/ndiswrapper ?

I don't know where I can view the contents of my CD's

I just downloaded the drivers off the internet. Otherwise, you will need to find the files on the CD. Which may even be within a cab file or something. As i say, i just downloaded em and extracted the zip file there.

Ok still I dont know how to view the contents of my CD. In windows u just type x: and you have all you want but here I have no idea and how do I copy the files from the CD to the root directory?

Quote Originally Posted by the_music_man
    Ok still I dont know how to view the contents of my CD. In windows u just type x: and you have all you want but here I have no idea and how do I copy the files from the CD to the root directory?
    You will have to mount the CD Drive, usually SuSE has an icon on the desktop for the cd drive, right click that and then choose mount. It'll mount it to either /mnt/cdrom or /media/cdrom, the diles will then be where it has been mounted. In order to then eject the cdrom, you will need to unmount the cdrom first

And if the icon is not there? Cuz it's not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast