Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am setting up a Debian MythTV system. I started with KnoppMyth and had to compile a buch of things from source. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ATI Radeon TV out frequency problem

I am setting up a Debian MythTV system. I started with KnoppMyth and had to compile a buch of things from source. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR Dual Head + TV Out PCI VGA Card. My system does not have an AGP slot.

The default install of KnoppMyth set my X up to use the vesa driver. Using the vesa driver the TV out display works great. Nice resolution and clear picture. The problem is when I try to wach a video the X CPU usage hits 99% and the video only plays at about 0.5 frames per second, very choppy.

I changed the driver to the ATI driver and on a monotor the video playback is great. X CPU usage does not go above 40% and I see a great picture and smooth video. But that is only on a computer monitor connected to the VGA ports. The TV has a picture that is totaly not useable. You can sort of make out that there is an image on the TV but the frequency is so off that you cannot see what it is.

I read the X logs and found that the TV output rejected all the frequencies in the mode definitions. Using the vesa driver it works with almost all of the modes but using the ATI driver it does not work with any.

So from this I know that the card can do TV out just fine and that the problem is with the ATI driver. I am not using any special ATI driver options at this time. I have tried many of them but cannot get any to work.

Is there an ATI option that will enable this to work?
    Does anyone have an ATI card with TV out working and could post there XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf file please?
    Is there anyway to make the vesa driver work better for faster video playback?
    Is there a better TV card I should buy?

Quote Originally Posted by GodofPain
    I am setting up a Debian MythTV system. I started with KnoppMyth and had to compile a buch of things from source. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR Dual Head + TV Out PCI VGA Card. My system does not have an AGP slot.

Proprietary ATI drivers (from www.ati.com) won't help you in that case, because they are meant to be used with Radeon 8500 and up.

You could try the drivers from:
    http://gatos.sourceforge.net/

I never tryed them, but they claim to have different drivers for different uses. For example, they have one that emphasis on TV OUTPUT:
    http://gatos.sourceforge.net/theater_out.php
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee