Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone who can give me some advices about what to look for when I buy an UPS? I have no experience with UPS...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need an UPS, and have absolutely no idea about what to look for

Anyone who can give me some advices about what to look for when I buy an UPS? I have no experience with UPS

You can get some pretty cheap ones these days, is this for home use or business use?

All you really need to worrry about is whether it supports multiple devices, and whether it has a serial or other cable to inform the computer that power is out and to do a graceful shutdown.

There's plain and basic which has the advantage of being really cheap, so if you decide its the wrong one you can change it in a couple of months.

Then you've got a bit more sophisticated which might be more along the lines of what you need, particularly if you're using it for a company server.

Just remember, dont plug the monitor into one of these unless you're there with it, and only then if you're shutting the system down 'cos the power's off. If the power goes away, you dont want the monitor draining the batteries when it should be keeping the server going.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/