Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey all, i am new to linux. i am trying to install a wireless card and from what i read i need to compile ndiswrapper first. i however get an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling ndiswrapper trouble.

hey all,
    i am new to linux. i am trying to install a wireless card and from what i read i need to compile ndiswrapper first. i however get an error message saying that cannot find kernel build file. when i look at the location the build file is there but it is highlighted in red. when i look at it using the gui, it says that the link "build" is broken. i am stuck and would like to know what to do. can some on please advise. thank you.

-B

Linux Enthusiast
    You probably need to install the kernel headers. There ought to be a package that came with your distribution that provides either the headers on its own or the whole kernel source.

If you're not sure which package you are looking for, tell us which distribution you are using and we can help you out a bit more.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kakariko81280
    You probably need to install the kernel headers. There ought to be a package that came with your distribution that provides either the headers on its own or the whole kernel source.

If you're not sure which package you are looking for, tell us which distribution you are using and we can help you out a bit more.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    hey,

i am using fedora core 5 with kernel version 2.6.15-1.2054_fC5. I am not sure what package i should look for or what to do with it once i find it. Please advise. tThank you

-B

Linux Enthusiast
    You should be able to use yum to install the required files.

Code:
    yum install kernel-devel
    Once that is done, try recompiling the drivers and let us know how you get on.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    i just did that and i got the error message:

cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

am i doing this in the correct directory? i did the command in the root directory. please forgive me i am a newbie to linux as in i have never used linux before yesterday when i installed it. your help is much appreciated.

-B