Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have been trying to get either of my sound cards to work. Soundblaster 5.1 and n_vidia onboard. I DL and tried to instlal oss mods but all but one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound card/mod problems

I have been trying to get either of my sound cards to work. Soundblaster 5.1 and n_vidia onboard. I DL and tried to instlal oss mods but all but one time it fails. One time it worked and i am not sure why. But then mysteriously the mods dissappeared for no reason. No reboot, not even a log out, its like they were there one second and next time i tried to play music they werent. Here is what happened evertime i try to install 0ss....

Checking for any previously installed sound drivers...
    *** Sound driver is already running - trying to unload it ***

You appear to have the the kernel level sound driver installed as a loadable
    module. Unload it by executing rmmod sound and try installing OSS/Linux again.

If this error repeats again you probably have the sound driver being loaded
    automagically by the kerneld daemon. In this case you should remove all sound.o
    files from all subdirectories of /lib/modules in addition to executing
    rmmod sound. After that you probably should reboot the system before trying to
    install OSS again. Edit /etc/modules.conf and remove the 'alias sound ...'
    line in case it exist and replace it by 'alias sound off'.

Also add a line containing 'alias char-major-14 off' to /etc/modules.conf.
    Am I allowed to do these changes automatically for you (Y/N) ? y
    Trying to disable the conflicting sound driver
    /etc/modules.conf backed up to /etc/modules.conf.pre-oss
    Unloading the existing sound driver
    If your system freezes now, please reboot and disable the current driver manually.
    audio: Device or resource busy
    Failed to unload module 'audio'
    soundcore: Device or resource busy
    Failed to unload module 'soundcore'
    [root@Homer tmp]# rmmod sound
    rmmod: module sound is not loaded
    [root@Homer tmp]# rmmod audio
    audio: Device or resource busy
    [root@Homer tmp]# rmmod sooundcore
    rmmod: module sooundcore is not loaded
    [root@Homer tmp]# rmmod soundcore
    soundcore: Device or resource busy

I would like any guidance. I am not a total n00b but i am fairly new at linux and this is my only problem . Thank You.

PS i tried to reboot to free up the mods....but that didnt work and previous to this attempt i already got rid of sound.o from lib/modules sub-dir.

Linux Guru
    What exactly is that you're trying to install? Why don't you use the drivers that come with the distro instead (speaking of which - which distro do you use)?

Just Joined!
    oh yeah sorry i am using fedora core 1. When i tried to run sndconfig it found my nvidia but said that it was unsupported. It did not detect mt soundblaster. How would i go about using the mods that came with my distro. As i said i am still learning and i don tknwo much about modules and the like. I just dont understand why one time it installs fine, but then it dissappears and it wont reinstall. I was trying to install 0ss398c-linux-v2x......... the open source sound drivers.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't think there is much point in using the OSS drivers - they are basically the same as those that come with the distro. Instead, could you please run the command `/sbin/lspci' and post the output here?

Just Joined!
    [root@Homer root]# /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?) (rev c1)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev c1)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev c1)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev c1)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev c1)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev c1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
    00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
    00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce MultiMedia audio [Via VT82C686B] (rev a2)
    00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 PCI Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): nVidia Corporation nForce2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) Controller (rev a3)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
    01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
    01:0a.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 0a)
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 40)
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a2)

Linux Guru
    Well, there doesn't seem to be anything extraordinary with your SB Live, at least. Try the following command (you must run it as root):
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe emu10k1
    If that doesn't give you any error messages, your sound should work. If it does give you error messages, please post them along with the output of "dmesg | tail".

Just Joined!
    Besides, isnt OSS depreciated. Perhaps you should try ALSA, and it can emulate OSS

Linux Guru
    ALSA does provide a better architecture, that's true. However, in my experience, OSS is far more stable than ALSA, so I would recommend everyone who doesn't explicitly want to develop with ALSA to stay with OSS for now.

Just Joined!
    [root@Homer root]# /sbin/modprobe emu10k1
    [root@Homer root]# dmesg | tail
    usbaudio: dma timed out??
    I guess there are no errors but i still do not have sound. I have no sounds out of gaim, or xmms, and i HAVE enabled mp3 support so that isnt the problem. When i try to play an mp3 on xmms it just plays through at like 10x speed with no sound output. But it does recognize it, it is differnet than when i didnt have mp3 support enabled.

Linux Guru
    I think I might see the problem. To confirm it, try running the following command and see if it gives you some sound (it's not pretty, but it should be something at least):
    Code:
    aumix -d /dev/mixer1 -w75 -v75; ps aux >/dev/dsp1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast