Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've got a 4TB raid array which is showing up as follows: Code: 8 16 2147483647 sdb 8 32 2147483647 sdc 8 48 99470337 sdd How do I get the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how do I get around the 2TB limit on disk devices?

I've got a 4TB raid array which is showing up as follows:
    Code:
    8    16 2147483647 sdb
    8    32 2147483647 sdc
    8    48   99470337 sdd
    How do I get the kernel to see this as 1 large volume?

To start off, what distro are you using?

The fix will require a kernel compile, as I think there is an option for large devices like this in it.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Gentoo, same as you my good man, and I've got that option in the kernel. I found out it's the auto-carving feature of the card which is enabled by default, disabling wasn't enough, had to rebuild array last night but now I've got "4394437632 sdb".

The problem now is that I can't get either fdisk or cfdisk to handle that device. They both throw error when I try to start them on /dev/sdb.

Surely you shouldn't have to rebuilt the array to get around the limit...

I am now googling for cfdisk size limit (or fdisk for that matter).

It would make sense that fdisk would have to have some sort of limit.

Hey, doesn't ext3 only support up to 2tb? or have I confused myself?

I think you may be right, I'm still investigating what to do with this huge disk now to try to get one mega volume, i gotta use gpt partition table it seems and figure out how to do the filesystem on it...

No, ext3 nor reiserfs has limits below 32tb.

investigating fdisk now.

No, fdisk & the partition types should work.

I think it might still be the kernel or there might be some program for raid missing (the gentoo handbook had something on raid, i think).

4tb, I still can't believe that. All I want is 250gb, and a dream of 1tb, but 4tb. Far...out. Which kernel option did you change?

I remember a time when our company computers used 250MB and 350MB hard disks, when we got our first 1.2GB drive; I thought we'd never fill it...

4TB is absolutely awesome. I'm just imagining the size of music collection I'd have to gather to get it to look used.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Yeah, I only have 10gb of music. My and my friends like to think of hdd space as how many times you can install ut2004 (as the install takes 5gb), and how much other stuff to go with it.

4tb, what about 4 million distro's? I know 1 guy had like 1.5tb and installed 100 distro's, so that would equate to be a hell of a lot.

Nah, 2tb for normal usage, 2tb backup using something like (is it raid 2 or 3 or something else?).

EDIT: great, i screwed up my facts again.

it's a raid 5 arros 10 500gb disks, on a 3ware 9550SX 16-port SATA controller, gonna be used for entire companies backups and old data parking lot... so I'm expecting to fill at least 2 TB straight off.

(btw my music lib at home is 75GB, albeit mostly music vids, mp3s are kind old skool, music vids bring music alive)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast