Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've set up TwinView for my Geforce 6600GT and now have two monitors displaying correctly. However, each monitor is an extension of the single desktop. ie. i have one big ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

TwinView & Separate Desktops

i've set up TwinView for my Geforce 6600GT and now have two monitors displaying correctly.

However, each monitor is an extension of the single desktop. ie. i have one big desktop stretched over two screens. Is it possible to map each to a different desktop?

On a related note, if i try and run a game it sits squarely in the middle of both monitors. Is there any way to map it to only one monitor?
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

If you want it such that one screen is more for playing games and the other not, then what you might want to look into is something like a twin X setup rather than a big desktop. This will also solve your game spreading across the whole screen problem since the games will only see (for instance) a 1024x768 resolution rather than a 2048x768 resolution
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Cheers - i found this tutorial on the subject.

i managed to (sort of) solve the game issue by altering the MetaModes to "1280x1024,1024x768;1280x1024" so that the latter Mode is picked up by the games. Games now run on the first monitor and the second monitor shuts off while it's running and restarts when it stops.

Regarding the dual-X setup, it mentions an alteration to the xorg.conf which i tried (adding "Screen 0/1") unsuccessfully. However, it also mentions:

"Use the standard dual-head ServerLayout, Screen, and Monitor sections..."
    It doesn't say, however, what these are. i just used the setting from my default, one-monitor setup and this only produces output on one screen.
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk