Find the answer to your Linux question:
So i just bought a Canon Powershot A430, not even out of the box yet, i wanted to know what program i should get from Synaptic to get this whole ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Canon digital cam

So i just bought a Canon Powershot A430, not even out of the box yet, i wanted to know what program i should get from Synaptic to get this whole thing running smoothly.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so i opened it and plugged it in via USB..apparetly GTKam doesn't recognize it, then again it is a newer model. So any help on this would be great.

Just Joined!
    anyone?.........

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There are several choices, I like Digikam. Gthumb now has camera support built right in and is a very user friendly utility. Both do a great job of downloading and managing your photos and should find and configure your camera without problems.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Gphoto

You need the latest libgphoto and gphoto packages with Digikam or GTKAM. Alternatively you can use FLPHOTO, they're just GUIs for commandline programs i guess.

I had trouble with the Powershot a410 but everything is now working just fine with Digikam and the latest libgphoto.

You just need to compile libgphoto if you don't see your cam in the device lists of GTKAM or DIGIKAM.

I downloaded the sources and did

./configure
    make rpm

It made an easy to install RPM package, and it had to be forced with no dependencies check and it installed properly. And it seems to work!!!

The problem is that if your digital camera doesn't support USB diskdrive option, then it uses PTP, which can be quite different from model to another. That was the case with my A410.