Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I've toyed around with Linux in the past, but have never seriously used it as a home computing OS. I've now decided to try and break away from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

To work around, or work through.

Hello all.

I've toyed around with Linux in the past, but have never seriously used it as a home computing OS. I've now decided to try and break away from Window 100% (with Vista coming and all). My problem is that my motherboard's (Abit ULI M1689 KU8 ) onboard ethernet adapter (IC Plus IP100 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter) doesn't seem to be working with my Fedora Core 4. I've searched around for some Linux drivers for it, but alas, none can be found.

So, to the question.

Should I

A: Attempt to resolve the problem by simply buying a seperate ethernet card, and forgeting about the lack of compatibility,

or

B: Work through the problem, because there might be a problem later on down the road due to compatibility issues between Linux and my motherboard?

If the answer is A, could you direct me to a compatible ethernet card? And if B, could you point me in the right direction to start resolving the compitibility issue?

Personally, i would use another network card, but then that's cos i have hundreds lying round at home!! I think most 10/100 cards are natively working in Linux, personally i have had no problems with my SiS 900 based onboard card, nor with ANY 3com card.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Yeah, I agree with sdously here; it's all relative. When I had RedHat 9 and latterly FC1, my on-board network adapter didn't work with Linux on my PC - so I disabled it in the bios and put in a reliable PCI one (a Realtek 8139 based card, which at the time was about 11 quid). I know the on-board one is now supported (it was detected when I went to FC2) but I think I still use the PCI one, 'cos I cant really be bothered with it. For some kit, I'm happily play for hours trying to get it to work, but network cards dont fall into that category.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I agree. Even if you don't have a PCI one lying around, fast ethernet cards (10/100) are so cheap these days that you can really wonder if it is worth loosing any time to get to work.

But you still could try something.

What
    Code:
    lspci
    gives you?

I hear that your card (IC Plus Corp IP100) should work with the "sundance" module. So
    Code:
    modprobe sundance
    Post any questions you might have, should you be not sure about something regarding this issue.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Code:
    lspci
    returns many things, but the only thing that seemed relevent was:
    02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Sundance Technology Inc: Unkown Device 0200 (rev31)

Code:
    modprobe sundance
    returns nothing, is it suposed to return something? I'm not familiar with the modprobe command.

However,
    Code:
    modprobe sundance -l
    returns
    "/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/kernel/drivers/net/sundance.ko"
    after entering "modprobe sundance", if that matters

And I'm fine with getting a new network card, I was just wondering if this might be a sign of a deeper problem.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

Code:
    lsmod | grep -i sundance
    should tell you if it is already in use. I am starting to doubt the "sundance" module as anything to do with your onboard ethernet device. I could be wrongly detected...

What is the ouput of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    But, as it has been said ealier, don't spend too much time on that, it is not worth it. You will learn in trying to make it work, that's for sure, but... will it work?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lockick
    Code:
    modprobe sundance
    returns nothing, is it suposed to return something? I'm not familiar with the modprobe command.
    No messages from this says to me that it succeeded. Usually with linux commands like this, no output is good! If you get an error its not worked, if u dont, usually it has worked!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockick
    Hello all.

I've toyed around with Linux in the past, but have never seriously used it as a home computing OS. I've now decided to try and break away from Window 100% (with Vista coming and all). My problem is that my motherboard's (Abit ULI M1689 KU8 ) onboard ethernet adapter (IC Plus IP100 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter) doesn't seem to be working with my Fedora Core 4. I've searched around for some Linux drivers for it, but alas, none can be found.

So, to the question.

Should I

A: Attempt to resolve the problem by simply buying a seperate ethernet card, and forgeting about the lack of compatibility,

or

B: Work through the problem, because there might be a problem later on down the road due to compatibility issues between Linux and my motherboard?

If the answer is A, could you direct me to a compatible ethernet card? And if B, could you point me in the right direction to start resolving the compitibility issue?
    Hello,
    I see it's been a couple of months since you posted this. I'm curious as to what you decided to do. I'm having the same problem, and I think I'm going to head to the store now. But I wanted to check just in case you found a fix.
    Thanks

Just Joined!

Probably too late ????

The following link may help you out . . .

http://www.icplus.com.tw/driver-pp-IP100A.html

It had M$, FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris x86, etc . . .

Just Joined!
    It doesn't work. There is a difference from the sundance ic plus ip100 to the ic plus 100a gigabite. I'm having the same problem under my freebsd. I'm almost heading to a store