Find the answer to your Linux question:
My old cash register has about had it. I have a new Dell Slackware 10.2 box at my restaurant that I'd like to turn into a Point Of Sale unit. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Touch Screen suggestions (POS)

My old cash register has about had it. I have a new Dell Slackware 10.2 box at my restaurant that I'd like to turn into a Point Of Sale unit.

Touch Screen

Checking out /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I notice there are commented entries for "Elo" and "Microtouch." so I believe either of those might be a wise choice since both are obviously supported. I know nothing about touch screens and wondered if anyone could make suggestions on which brand would be the better choice.

Suggestions for retail printers and cash drawers would be appreciated as well.

By the way if you're in retail, (especially food), check out "tinaPOS" which is what I plan to use. I've been experimenting with it, and really like it's simplicity and ease of use.

Thanks!

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

No one here has experience with Touch Screens??
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I haven't used linux with touchscreens, but I have worked on a lot of pos units. Generally speaking, I have less trouble with elo touchscreens. It's a pretty well accepted standard touchscreen that's been around for a while. The only disadvantage is that they wear out after time.

Microtouch screens are capacitive, they only work with finger contact. Microtouch is manufactured by 3m. When they work, the screens are really nice. You could play solitaire with your finger. The controllers have a higher rate of out-of-box failure.

I've seen people get both to work with linux, so really, the choice is yours.