Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone, I have been on this forum over a month now and I have seen that it's really cool - ppl are really willing to help you a lot!!!! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

best VGA (graphic) card

hello everyone,

I have been on this forum over a month now and I have seen that it's really cool - ppl are really willing to help you a lot!!!!

Out of my own curiosity, I have a question now!!! - I have seen other members mentioning various 3D cards, names and qualities - I personally have an nVidia 32MB 3D VGA card (hoping to upgrade soon to 64MB) on a P4 2.8GHz, and I'm wondering whether that is enough to work with all my OSs at its best? - I run a dual boot with slackware9.1 , Mandrake9.2 and winXP - (I need them all for different purposes )

what I mean is: is that a good graphic card? shall I upgrade to something more consistent? can you give out some names?

any suggestion will be read and considered
    thanx

Linux Engineer
    i personally use a generic nVidia-based GeForce FX 5200 128mb card and have gotten quite impressive results from it.. but then again, i was using a voodoo3 before that..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru
    It's hard to answer whether "it is enough". Technically, I don't need a 3D card at all, since I don't use any 3D functionality (or at least very seldomly - that would be the screen savers). However, I have a GeForce FX 5200 anyway, but that's mainly because it was the cheapest one that I could find that supported the features that I do need - dual monitors and TV output.

So, you know, an answer to your question would be hard to give without knowing what you intend to do.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    hello and thanx for your inputs,

but as usual I always forget to be more specific!!! - what I meant was: would my nVidia Geforce 32MB be enough to decode satellite streams?

After lots of reaserch I have found out what hardware I need (softare included) to decode satellite streams on my PC rather than on the TV - I'm also trying to learn a bit of powerful Linux scripting (using slackware9.1) so that I can view more than one image (and possibly play with them )

if you have any suggestion or tips that you can give me I'll be very happy to consider - ohhh by the way, do you think that I could easily upgrade my laptop (P4 2.8GHz - 512MB RAM - 60GB /dev/hda - 32MB nVidia GeForce) to a GeForce 128MB?

thanx to all
    the opearator

Linux Guru
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that a good video card is needed to decode satellite streams. Isn't that done by the CPU?