Find the answer to your Linux question:
When cleaning my room out quite recently, I came across an ancient laptop that somebody had given me several years ago. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro T2155CDS, possibly running a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCMCIA cards and an ancient laptop

When cleaning my room out quite recently, I came across an ancient laptop that somebody had given me several years ago. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro T2155CDS, possibly running a processor at 133mhz with 16mb of ram. I'm not to sure on the specs, as I haven't used it in quite some time. It has an external floppy drive, an internal cd drive, and as I recall, I took out the 800mb harddrive in there and installed a 6gb one. It also has two PCMCIA slots and runs Win98 fairly well.

I would like to switch it over to Linux as a remote module for reading email, checking news online, etc. However, it has no network capability except for the PCMCIA slot. I wanted to know if anyone here knows what type of cards would be compatible with these slots? I looked on ebay and found some network cards for around $15 or so, but I would hate to spend any money on something, only to find out that it doesn't work. I wouldn't mind getting a USB card as well, as I do have a USB wireless adapter that I might be using soon. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i have had PCMCIA network cards before there was the wireless and the work fine. Actually they are easier than the wireless. i would say get a nice 3com would do. most of the time those just get recognized right away. for those specs you will need a lightweight distro with fluxbox or XFCE as the window manager.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

i've used both the 3Com 3cxfe574bt http://www.tomshardware.pl/network/2...images/574.jpg
    and the Xircom R2BE-100 http://www.tomshardware.pl/network/2...es/r2be100.jpg on old laptops. i really like the Xircom because it doesn't require a dongle. Just plug the cat 5 cable right into it.

Both are Extremely cheap on Ebay.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the answers. However, I just discovered that the CD drive in there is not reading CD-Rs, at least the ones that I've been using. I'll experiment with several different CDs, burning at the slowest speed with hopes of getting it to work. Also, the laptop can't boot from the CD drive, will it be able to boot using a floppy (such as a Win98 startup disk) with cd drivers and still install DSL or Slackware on there from a cd?

you can do a floppy boot, net-install with debian and DSL. there are apps out there designed to boot from a floppy and send it to a cd. Smart Boot Manager is one that comes to mind. i've never used it but hear it works.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!