Find the answer to your Linux question:
Iím not sure if this is an application issue or a Printer issue so Iím sorry if Iíve posted it in the wrong category! When I try to print anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Printing form OpenOffice.org 1.1.0

Iím not sure if this is an application issue or a Printer issue so Iím sorry if Iíve posted it in the wrong category!

When I try to print anything from within OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 nothing comes out at all. No error message, nothing. If I print through other programs (Kword, Adobe Acrobat Reader etc.) it prints fine.

Iíve tried the print command (in OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 Printer Administrator) lpr, lpr ĖP samsung-ml-1210, kprinter but none of them have an effect. With kprinter the KDE print dialog comes up but when I click on print nothing prints.

It worked fine up till recently (I think until I upgraded to KDE 3.2)

Samsung ml-1210 on USB using CUPS + foomagic GDI print driver

Any ideas please?
    PS. I also think that firefox wonít print either but I havenít had time to test it again.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Engineer
    You should use lp-cups instead of lp (or it maybe lpr-cups, depending on how your printing system is setup.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Thank you for the reply. After hours of configuring everything (Yast2, cups, KDE, OOo) in the end the solution was simple, but rather strange.

The OOo printer administrator only had 2 fonts installed (Nimbus Sans & Lucida) so I could only print if my document was formatted to these fonts. I had to install all of the other fonts on my system (Times New Roman, Arial, Courier, Serif etc.) and then I could format my document to whatever font I wanted and it would print fine.

As they say, ďsimple when you know howĒ
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi