Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I booted my pc today, and it for some reason said it had detected a new CD-ROM drive (Mt CD-writer) and i have phpsysinfo working on my computer in there, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Odd thing about CD-ROM

I booted my pc today, and it for some reason said it had detected a new CD-ROM drive (Mt CD-writer) and i have phpsysinfo working on my computer in there, not i have 4 IDE devices in my computer (2 Hard Disks, 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD-ROM) I haven't got a SCSI card AT ALL, but somehow linux believes i have a SCSI CD-Writer on my computer!!!! will this cause anything major to happen? Or is it jus a little bug somewhere?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Engineer
    i couldnt really follow your post but i think ur saying that ur IDE burner is being installed as /dev/scd0 (scsi cdrw)

this is supposed to happen, as all cd burning programs ive seen for linux only support scsi burners, so ur drive is being run thru a scsi emulation thing, so it shows up as scsi.

Ah, right, that makes sense as to why it's showing up as a SCSI drive! But then, why is it ALSO showing up as an IDE device ASWELL? http://212.158.224.172/~sdousley/phpSysInfo-2.1/ Look here, the hdd(CW018D ATAPI CD-R/RW) ios the same drive as the 'SCSI' one!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    do the symlinks /dev/hdd, /dev/cdrom, and /dev/scd0 exists and what do they point to.

also what device is in /etc/fstab for /mnt/cdrom

/mnt/cdrom points to device: /dev/cdrom in fstab

the /dev/hdd symlink points to nothing, the /dev/cdrom points to hdb (My DVD ROM drive, as does /dev/dvd, and /dev/scd0 points to nothing either!

Linux Engineer
    forgot u had 2 drives, what does /etc/fstab say about /mnt/cdrom2 then follow those links till u fidn what in /dev it uses

Code:
    /dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
    /dev/cdrom           /media/cdrom         auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
    /dev/dvd             /media/dvd           auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
    That is my fstab, i am not sure as to which CD drive to follow! the fstab has been changed loads since i last looked at it i think!

I havs done an ls -l /dev/<name> and the cdrecorder points to sr0 <- (Number 0 not letter O ) the cdrom points to hdb as does the dvd?!?!

Linux User
    umm.. . i'll just ask this here coz it's kinda related.

are sr* block devices no longer supported in RH9 then? the /dev/MAKEDEV script doesn't know how to make it. so i guess it's scd* then. i'm configuring that SCSI emu on my CDRW as i'm getting annoyed by the very, very long delays i get when i try to do a burn and i forget to insert a blank CD into the drive.

or do i have to manually make this device with the makenode command?
    Registered User #345074

I'm not sure bout RH9, i'm using SuSE 9.0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast