Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am PXE booting a SuSE 10 filesystem using a custom kernel (2.6.16.2) and I'm trying to install the lpfc driver using the lpfc-install script found in the lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.0.16.27-1. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Emulex lpfc Driver Problems

I am PXE booting a SuSE 10 filesystem using a custom kernel (2.6.16.2) and I'm trying to install the lpfc driver using the lpfc-install script found in the lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.0.16.27-1. When I run the script, this is what I get:

linux:/pdd/Emulex/lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.0.16.27-1 # ./lpfc-install
    Emulex LPFC Driver Installer Version 2906
    Determining distribution type and kernel version ...
    Checking for Emulex LPFCDFC driver packages ...
    Checking for old Emulex driver ...
    Looking for kernel source package ...
    Looking for compilers ...
    Searching for LPFC Driver source RPM from /pdd/Emulex/lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.0.16.27-1/. ...
    Installing package ...
    Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
    1:lpfcdriver_2.6 ########################################### [100%]
    Building LPFC driver ......
    - Error 1 while building/installing driver.
    - Log is contained in /usr/src/lpfc/errlog
    error: %post(lpfcdriver_2.6-8.0.16.27-1) scriptlet failed, exit status 5

Error during RPM installation
    Error installing LPFC Driver source RPM.
    Loading LPFC Driver .FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.16.2/kernel/drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc.ko': No such file or directory

Error loading LPFC Driver
    Please refer to the following file(s) for more information
    about this driver load failure:
    /var/log/messages
    /var/log/warn
    Please contact Emulex Technical Support

The /usr/src/lpfc/errlog contains:

make: Entering directory `/usr/src/lpfc'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.16.2/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` CONFIG_SCSI_LPFC=m modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/kernel-2.6.16.2'
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mem.o
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mem.c: In function ‚lpfc_mem_alloc‚:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mem.c:80: warning: passing argument 2 of ‚mempool_create‚ from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mem.c:86: warning: passing argument 2 of ‚mempool_create‚ from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mem.c:92: warning: passing argument 2 of ‚mempool_create‚ from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mem.c:98: warning: passing argument 2 of ‚mempool_create‚ from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mem.c:104: warning: passing argument 2 of ‚mempool_create‚ from incompatible pointer type
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_sli.o
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_sli.c:43:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_compat.h:40:5: warning: "__BIG_ENDIAN" is not defined
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_sli.c:44:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.h:76:5: warning: "__BIG_ENDIAN" is not defined
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_sli.c: In function ‚lpfc_sli_issue_iocb‚:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_sli.c:2530: warning: ‚iocb‚ may be used uninitialized in this function
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_ct.o
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_els.o
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_hbadisc.o
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_hbadisc.c:44:
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_init.o
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_init.c:44:
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mbox.o
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_mbox.c:38:
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_nportdisc.o
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_scsiport.o
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_scsiport.c:42:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_scsiport.c: In function ‚lpfc_target_unblock‚:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_scsiport.c:1351: warning: implicit declaration of function ‚fc_target_unblock‚
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_scsiport.c: In function ‚lpfc_target_block‚:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_scsiport.c:1380: warning: implicit declaration of function ‚fc_target_block‚
    CC [M] /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.o
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:51:
    In file included from /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:57:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c: In function ‚lpfc_get_port_id‚:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1707: warning: implicit declaration of function ‚fc_port_id‚
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1707: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c: In function ‚lpfc_get_node_name‚:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1718: warning: implicit declaration of function ‚fc_node_name‚
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1718: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c: In function ‚lpfc_get_port_name‚:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1729: warning: implicit declaration of function ‚fc_port_name‚
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1729: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c: At top level:
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1756: error: unknown field ‚get_port_id‚ specified in initializer
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1756: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1757: error: unknown field ‚show_port_id‚ specified in initializer
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1757: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1759: error: unknown field ‚get_node_name‚ specified in initializer
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1759: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1760: error: unknown field ‚show_node_name‚ specified in initializer
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1760: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1762: error: unknown field ‚get_port_name‚ specified in initializer
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1762: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1763: error: unknown field ‚show_port_name‚ specified in initializer
    /usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.c:1763: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/lpfc/lpfc_fcp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/lpfc] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/kernel-2.6.16.2'
    make: *** [build] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lpfc'

Any thoughts?

Just Joined!

Errors on lpfc install

I've been trying to install the same driver under Fedora Core 5 Test 5, with much the same result as you posted, particularly the repetition of the __BIG_ENDIAN warnings and implicit declarations. I was able to successfully build and install the newer lpfc driver (From the package lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.1.6.6-1) but it does not support the Emulex LP-8000 card for which I am trying to install the driver, so the process was futile. I was able to get all the way to the part where HBAnyware starts up, displays a nice screen showing an Emulex HBA card and a version information screen but then it tells me "No HBA is currently installed." and the program exits when you hit OK. (Again, this using the lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.1.6.6-1 driver and ElxLinuxApps-3.0a15-8.1.6.6-1.)

It seems that there have been some changes to the 2.6 Kernel since the lpfc_2.6_driver_kit-8.0.16.27-1 driver was released and as such, it is not able to compile. (On my system, for example, using Kernel 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5, diskdump.h has been replaced with kexec.h. I made the necessary modifications in lpfc_scsi.h and Makefile but it still won't compile.)

It's going to be a long night...