Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a machine (shuttle sn25p) running Fedora Core 5, which is a little box with an available DVI and one PCI-X slot. The current video card is reporting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation 64-bit FC5 video card issue

Hi,

I have a machine (shuttle sn25p) running Fedora Core 5, which is a little box with an available DVI and one PCI-X slot. The current video card is reporting an incorrect message when I have the machine hooked up to a Dell 2100FP monitor. The card needs to support hi-res settings at least as high as 1280x1024. 3-d and gaming is not a requirement.

I want to try another video card and see if I can fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by linuxr
    The current video card is reporting an incorrect message when I have the machine hooked up to a Dell 2100FP monitor.
    We need more details. What kind of video card does your computer use? Have you installed the proper display drivers for it? What sort of "incorrect message"? Are you able to log in graphically at all? Are you having trouble displaying the correct resolution?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

more info/correction

Thanks for the response. One correction is the fact that it is not with a shuttle box after all, it is with another larger system. It may be a Dell in which case I have seen previous incompatibilities with their 650/670 lines, but that was running more gaming-type apps which is n/a here. Q. Are there brands/cards to gravitate towards or away from?

Current video card is GEForce 6600GT. He is using the 'nv' driver.

User (developer) wants to run at 1600x1200 native resolution (or higher of course).

The problem is basically a resolution and/or incompatibility issue.

Basically there seems to be a problem with the card and the monitor together. With all of the above together the OS will be set within Xorg.conf to run much higher but it will only report back a much lower (ie several notches) res, like 1280x1024 or something like that.

We are trying substituting monitors but are not sure if that is going to correct it or if we will have to start substituting out cards.

Apologies for the missing info up front, also I am getting error message text from the user and will post asap.

Thanks
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by linuxr
    It may be a Dell in which case I have seen previous incompatibilities with their 650/670 lines, but that was running more gaming-type apps which is n/a here. Q. Are there brands/cards to gravitate towards or away from?
    I honestly don't know. I don't buy pre-made PCs.

Current video card is GEForce 6600GT. He is using the 'nv' driver.

User (developer) wants to run at 1600x1200 native resolution (or higher of course).
    Nvidia cards generally run very well in Linux, particularly if you download and install the official Linux drivers from the Nvidia site here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Be sure you download the X86_64 (64-bit) driver. There's a tutorial I wrote for getting the driver set up here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html

Basically there seems to be a problem with the card and the monitor together. With all of the above together the OS will be set within Xorg.conf to run much higher but it will only report back a much lower (ie several notches) res, like 1280x1024 or something like that.
    This might have to do with the limitations of the "nv" driver as opposed to the "nvidia" driver that you would use if you installed the commercial drivers. Does this problem still show up if you change "nv" to "vesa"? It's very unlikely that the hardware itself is the problem.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants