Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm in a bit of a situation. I want to keep my existing hard drive (temporarily) and install a new one. The thing is, I need them both in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow easiest way to install a new hard drive

Hello. I'm in a bit of a situation. I want to keep my existing hard drive (temporarily) and install a new one. The thing is, I need them both in the computer at the same time for a little bit so I can copy everything from my original onto my new one. Once everything is copied onto my new one, it will be my primary and I'm not going to use the original. The problem is, I have 3 IDE cables, each with only one channel. One goes to the HD I have now, one to my cd-rom, and one to my floppy. Since none of the cables have dual channels, I cant install another hard drive onto one that is already in use. The way I see it, I have two options. I'm wanting to know which is easiest:

1) I could remove either my cd-rom or floppy and use its IDE for the hard drive while the data transfer is taking place. Once thats done, I can take out my original, replace it with the new one and put my cd-rom back where it was. Can this be done?

2) I can simply buy a cable with two channels. Plug my old and new hard drive into each, set my old hard drive as master and my second as slave. Then after everything is copied, I can take out my old hard drive, set my new one as master and leave the other channel empty.

I'm sure there are other ways but these are the two that came to my mind first. What do you think the best way of doing this would be?

Well, first off...3 IDE? Don't you mean 2 IDE(each capable of 2 channels) and a floppy connector(different pins)?

Assuming that, I've been in this scenario many times. Personally, I always have two connectors per cable since I always used them, and I would normally suggest getting one, however given IDE is dying off and SATA is really where it's at now, I wouldn't throw any money after that technology myself. I'd just do your new install with all the gear attached except your old drive, once it's up and running fine, power down, replace the CDROM connector into the old drive, copy the files over, then switch back. No need to completely uninstall/reinstall - I usually just leave my computer opened up, sit the old drive on top and wire it in.

Depending on distro, you'll need to detect and mount the old drive. If this is a hassle, then I'd cough up the $5 for the IDE cable and just leave the old drive connected the whole time, then just disconnect it when done.

DT

Just Joined!
    so your saying i should do my first option? Unhook my cd-rom and replace it with my new drive. Copy the files, and then replace my new drive with my old one and hook my cd-rom back up?
    BTW, yes 2 IDE's is correct and Im using FC1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That's the quickest way as long as you're comfortable adding a new disk in FC. I'm sure someone here can walk you through it if you have trouble. I assume you installed the Fedora recently - any reason you're not using something more recent? That's a pretty old distro.

DT

Just Joined!
    The reason why I am using FC1 is because my computer itself is pretty old. It was original a Windows 98 and then I installed XP, and now I have Linux. I used FC5 for quite a while but there were several problems but since I switched to FC1, I havent had any problems yet. Once I upgrade my computer, Im going to install FC5 again and see if I have anymore problems.