Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can create the tape, as a cleaning tape, and everything. It even lets me specify max # of uses, and what # use its on now. , etc. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy How do I use cleaning tape in LTO drive with Arkeia? (w/o a library setup)

I can create the tape, as a cleaning tape, and everything. It even lets me specify max # of uses, and what # use its on now. , etc.

But When the tape is in the drive, Arkeia says there is not tape in the drive (for the cleaning tape only).

There is no option anywhere to use the cleaning tape.

The only thing I can find ANYWHERE in arkeia's user guide, forums, and knowledge base is this:

http://support.arkeia.com/cgi-bin/ar...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

Which tells you in detail how to set up cleaning tapes in libraries. But I have no library -- just a single LTO Ultrium 1 tape drive.

BTW I am using Arkeia Network Backup 5.2.25.

Is there something I am completely missing here? Do I not have to do anything in arkeia? Do I just stick the tape in and it cleans and then is done or something? Thatís the only thing I can think of for why I can find no documentation on using cleaning tapes in non-library setups.

Also - as side note - Seagate originally make my tape drive, but they donít make them anymore, and provide absolutely no support -- so I can even find a manual to tell me what lights on the drive means what? Are there by chance standard lights/meaning on LTO drives?

Anything you could tell me at all would help immensely. I am about to pull me hair out I'm so frustrated.

Back in the days of floppy disk drives, we had the same problem. The OS wants to find the FAT and directory before it goes off looking for files, and of course there aren't any on a cleaning disk, so it would sit and search on that first track until it timed out.

Someone wrote a small program that specifically solved that, I don't remember it's name--it would bypass the OS and access BIOS to move the heads back and forth like it was possessed. It worked great. Of course that was a floppy drive, and today with either Windows or Linux you will probably need a low level driver to get the needed access.

I don't have a tape drive, but since this is a universal problem, I would be surprised if someone hasn't created the equivalent program for tapes.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I have (much) older DDS tape drives and an (also old) OnStream ADR drive. They all work the same, one places the special cleaning cartridge in, the drive recognizes something special about the cartridge, and the drive firmware advances the cleaning tape to clean the heads.

It seems odd to me that much newer drives would require software to drive the cleaning phase, but you are the one that has the drive, and my experience is with these older drives.

Post the answer when you find it ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    drl - you may be onto something -- when I put the tape in, the drive did flash two lights -- I had been taking that as a signal --- that it thought there was nothing on the tape or something -- but it may have been doing just what you said. The drive has actually be working better since then.

Funny -- It's so easy -- I thought it couldnt be working -- and it prolly was.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, bdb4269.

OK, good to hear. I'd still keep an eye on it for a while, and don't forget to enter this into your log

I used Google to look for "seagate lto clean procedure" after my initial reply, and I got a number of hits, at least one of which -- possibly at IBM -- seemed to indicate that the procedure for your drive was similar to my DDS and ADR ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )