Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a DVD+RW drive connected via firewire to my PC that is not recognized in Slackware 9.1. Digging through the forums and google, I haven't really turned up too ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 9.1 and Firewire DVD-RW

I have a DVD+RW drive connected via firewire to my PC that is not recognized in Slackware 9.1. Digging through the forums and google, I haven't really turned up too many directions in which to go to get this device working. lsmod states that I have "ieee1394" and "ohci1394" loaded, but I am not sure what to do from here. Could anyone provide some assistance?

-Josh

Just Joined!

Firewire DVD

I use an external Pioneer DVD burner with both firewire and usb ports on it. My BIOS won't boot to firewire and I get errors when I try to burn via USB so I'm stuck with swapping back and forth.

To get my system (Fedora Core 4_64) to recognize my drive, I have to type the following commands:
    $ cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: PIONEER Model: DVD-RW DVR-106D Rev: 1.06
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: ffffffff

(Read the output and figure out the device numbers of drive. For the above example I used 2 0 0 0.

echo "scsi remove-single-device 2 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
    echo "scsi add-single-device 2 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

There's a script that does all this automatically. Search google for scsi-rescan-scsi-bus.sh. There's several versions out there so just find one that works with your system.

More details: http://comptune.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=195