Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i have my seagates 80GB SATA hard drive with windows xp installed on it. the problem now i am acing is while installing my REDHAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 4 the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy installation of redhat linux on SATA hard drive

Hi,
    i have my seagates 80GB SATA hard drive with windows xp installed on it. the problem now i am acing is while installing my REDHAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 4 the linux is not detecting my hard drive. On asking my vendor he said dat u either buy a ATA hard drive as redhat linux doesnt support SATA hard drive or else download the specific RPM for the installation, Can any one tell me the solution dat whether shud i buy a new ATA hard drive or download the specific RPM. Plz suggest the RPM if anyone knows.

Just Joined!
    You will need to go to http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...U1-x86-en.html
    at Redhat to get the latest drivers/info. The vendor is 1/2 right, I think the Redhat distribution is catching up in the Update 1 for version 4. I have had similar issues so I would add that you be careful if you are trying to install on the same drive as your windows. It can get tricky and you risk other issues that could cause you more headaches.

I would recommend a 2nd drive for Redhat.

hi subhanshu4u !!

i agree with dehonw. RedHat officials says that SATA is supported by RedHat but i find out that there are lot of other factors, hardware configuration, like motherboards (ASUS) are related to this particular problem. Check this link. A few workarounds are listed there. Is there any specific reason for RedHat? You should try latest distro like Fedora. Its supported by RedHat.

Check www.distrowatch.com
    Last edited by devils casper; 02-06-2009 at 04:38 AM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Just Joined!
    I've installed this morning Red hat 4 on 2 SATA hdds with no problems at all, Fedora installs fine too. I've even done RAID. I guess that the problem is the version of red hat. Get a relatively new version of the OS and it should recognize your drive.

But could you be more clear about your problem?
    what version of red hat are you trying to use?
    are you trying to do dual OS on the same drive?
    In which moment of the installation does it stop?
    is the drive recognized by the BIOS?

Bear in mind that Linux call SATA hdds sda as scsi devices so it wont be called hda as IDE is.
    It is actually the first time I heard that Linux doesnt install on a SATA so you should make it work.

Just Joined!
    Hi Llanosflats;

I think you are right,

Even i had great difficulties installing Older Linux Distros, but the oneafter FC6 should do, and the Kernel recognises the hardware.

The only problem i feel with the Older Distros, I feel is that the Kernel would not have the drivers for SATA.

Linux kernel support SATA disk from a very early versions. Problem is in the Chipsets only. A few Chipsets are not supported by earlier kernel versions.
    There are a few work arounds. Check here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First