Find the answer to your Linux question:
This post may fit into another forum, but it is affecting hardware so here it is. When compiling (with gentoo) it seems to put heavy load on cpu, even crashing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Harddrive makes Buzzing sound when high load on machine

This post may fit into another forum, but it is affecting hardware so here it is.

When compiling (with gentoo) it seems to put heavy load on cpu, even crashing X-server at times. The hardware issue is I get a bzzzzz-ing sound from harddrive. I think it may be related to my cflags and USE variables. But not sure of the optimal setting for my box. Here is some box specs.
    Code:
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 8
    model name      : Celeron (Coppermine)
    stepping        : 6
    cpu MHz         : 797.649
    cache size      : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug        : no
    hlt_bug         : no
    f00f_bug        : no
    coma_bug        : no
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 2
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
    bogomips        : 1576.96
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    The next time it happens, check the output of "dmesg | tail" to see if the kernel has issued any error messages.

Thanks for the reply Dolda. Before I read it I had already messed around with my USE and cflag settings, and so far don't experience the same issues. But I plan on using that command if I do. I did come across this on the Gentoo site:
    Gentoo is more demanding on hardware than most operating systems, because of the large amount of compiling involved. A Gentoo installation, especially from stage 1, may uncover latent hardware problems that have gone unnoticed until now. If you are overclocking your CPU, try running it at its rated speed. Try setting RAM timings in your BIOS to vendor default settings. Make sure your RAM is compatible with your motherboard
    I am still unsure if these are optimal adjustments, but they are FUNCTIONAL adjustments.