Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just put all the guts of my pc in a new case...it really helps with the fan noise, the one problem is that my system wont boot anymore...It just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Hard Drive Not Dected?

I just put all the guts of my pc in a new case...it really helps with the fan noise, the one problem is that my system wont boot anymore...It just sits at a blank screen for well over 6 hours. I've checked and rechecked the connections and I still dont know whats wrong. As far as I can tell, It's exactly the way it was when it last worked. Any ideas on what would cause this to happen? I know that this isnt directly linux related but any help would be appreciated!
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

oz
    forum.guy
    Just guessing here, but assuming that everything is hooked up exactly the way it was before... maybe the motherboard is touching the case where it shouldn't be (shorted perhaps?), or it's not grounded the way it should be.

Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe something isn't hooked up exactly the way it was before.

Maybe someone else will throw some other ideas your way.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    im actually pretty worried about the motherboard now...its been through quite a bit and I think this could have been the last straw. Is there any way that I'll be able to tell if I really killed it? Everything seems to work fine, except it never acutally boots up...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, LoserWithCause.

It's difficult to debug these kinds of problems by remote control. We weren't looking over your shoulder to see how you did the connectors, etc.

You haven't mentioned whether the power supply seems OK, fans come on, can you hear or feel that the disk is even spinning, have you tried a different disk, will the system boot from a CD, floppy, etc. Did you disconnect the CMOS battery? If so, is the BIOS still set to boot from the correct channel, etc.

The BIOS on most mainboards has a beep code, so could do some tests that way. For example, you'd get one kind of beep (e.g. 2 beeps) for no keyboard attached -- that's pretty easy to test. There would be different codes for no monitor, no memory, etc, Consult your hardware manual.

You know that there is a large connector from the PS to the MB. CompUSA sells a little tester that you can plug that into, and the LED combinations will diagnose incorrect voltages.

Best wishes, keep us posted ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Linux Newbie
    thanks for the reply drl!

the fans and every thing come on and the cd/dvd drives open/close but the system wont boot from a cd I'm almost positive that the current drive is good since it was working 20 mins before I put it in the new case...I dont think it even starts spinning. I put in another drive that I'm positive works and even that one wont spin. As fasr as the beep codes go, i dont think mine does that. The only time it beeps is if you press a key too many times on startup, and I'm not getting any beeps. I'll resetting the cmos battery and see what I get...

Linux Newbie
    ok some more info, the hdd light dosent blilnk/come on when the computer turns on, and the numlock/scrolllock/etc flash quickly like they normally do, but then they refuse to come on if i press the key. also, on occasion the computer turns on right when I plug it in, ie i dont even press the button, but then I can turn it off with the button, so i know it's wired right. Does that bypassing of the switch mean a short in the motherboard?

drl
    Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoserWithCause
    Does that bypassing of the switch mean a short in the motherboard?
    I don't know. However, if the switch is connected directly to the power supply, then I would think that does not indicate a short. To where do the wires from the power switch connect?

If there is power to the CD drive, that suggests that part of the power supply is good. I would connect the hard drive with the power cable from the CD drive and see if that causes the hard drive to spin up. Assuming you have an ATA or SATA drive, I don't think there are any settings that you need to worry about (SCSI drives can be set to power up at specific times and events).

Although the system will not boot from a CD, does the CD spin up if there is a disk present?

What is the vendor and model number of the mainboard? ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.

Linux Newbie
    well, the power switch connects to the motherboard, and I can't connect the hd using the same cable from the cd drive because it's a different type...the board is an intel "D945GPR" but i cant find any documentation for it, as far as I can tell its the japanese version of the "D945GPM". I think its time for a new motherboard. I just got a geforce 7800 and it needs an agp slot which the current board lacks...i think ill just shell out the cash for an upgrade. Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by LoserWithCause
    ok some more info, the hdd light dosent blilnk/come on when the computer turns on,
    I just switched to a new case a fortnight back (A beautiful Antec P180 - beeeeeeauty)

I had a similar problem - I have a 600GB two disk LVM. It was only reading half. After much sweating and vowing to buy a tape backup drive I discovered it was one of the power connectors to one of my hard drives. The PSU is fine, it was just one of the connections had come lose with all of the changing.

drl
    Hi, LoserWithCause.

I used Google for the more generic "intel D945g", and found lots of hits, but too many to look through.

I haven't pulled and pushed as many disks as bigtomrodney, apparently, but I usually use frame / carrier systems, and I have worn a few of those out -- mostly the little cooling fan. I really like F / C, because I once tried to do a multi-partition boot setup long ago. The last OS I was installing was Solaris and it wiped out everything. From that time forward, I have always installed the carrier into new systems. Up until now I've been using ATA, but I'm slowly switching to SATA. I still have SCSI in the big boxes, but the cost difference is getting to be significant.

I hope your next install goes well. All things considered, it's good to have had some practice on this MB instead of starting fresh on your new one .

Best wishes ... cheers, drl