Find the answer to your Linux question:
Following Via (Unichrome), XGI, OpenGraphics etc, Intel had released open source graphics driver for Linux. Will their competitors AMD/ATI, NVIDIA, Matrox follow Intel's move? From ZDNet: Intel has released open-source ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Smile Intel: Open Source Graphics Driver

Following Via (Unichrome), XGI, OpenGraphics etc, Intel had released open source graphics driver for Linux.

Will their competitors AMD/ATI, NVIDIA, Matrox follow Intel's move?

From ZDNet:

Intel has released open-source software to give Linux full-fledged support for 3D graphics, a move that could give its graphics chips a leg up over rivals. Intel sees the open-source move as a way to attract customers to its graphics products--such as its upcoming 965 Express chipset--and give it an advantage over rivals ATI Technologies and Nvidia.

"Having open-source drivers gives us a big edge in this market," said Dirk Hohndel, chief technologist of Intel's Open Source Technology Center. The software, available at a new Web site, is already being integrated with relevant open-source projects, he said.

Intel's effort reflects the curious intersection of technological, legal, social and business motivations that operate in the open-source realm. By participating in the collaborative programming movement, Intel builds ties with outside developers and open-source fans. On the other hand, it relinquishes some control over the software and forgoes the possibility of keeping some coding secrets. And one politically important ally, the Free Software Foundation, was delighted with Intel's move.

Yeah I saw this yesterday on /. and I think it's great. I'm also hoping that seeing how nVidia and AMD have always gotten on well together they my both open drivers(nVidia and ATI). IT would be great, there'd be no more fear of including legally questionable kernel modules, and maybe XGL would help give linux more of a legup. It can only be a good thing I guess.