Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I bought myself a GeForce2 MX 400 64Mbs, because i couldn't get my radeon to be installed. Anyway it installed just fine, but it only gives out a puny number ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GeForce 2 not giving out a lot of fps in glxgears?

I bought myself a GeForce2 MX 400 64Mbs, because i couldn't get my radeon to be installed. Anyway it installed just fine, but it only gives out a puny number of frames per second. I don't get it arent NVIDIA cards supposed to be good? i hear all thses ppl who get around 1500 and so on with there geforce 2's. (my friend has one, and he gets 1600fps) Though my games i run, are running at a reasonable speed (cstrike is stable around 45-60 and sometimes hits 90, depending on the situation, and warcraft 3 runs just fine) but I want to run BF1942, and dark age, but this seems like I won't be able to play at a reasonable speed? is this due to the age of the card? or is my distro? Heres what i have (i know this is not crappy) Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512 Mbs 3200 DDR ram, a cheap hard drive (this is one that i thnk is f'in up my glxgears cause its from an XboX and Im not sure how fast it is ) and a GeForce 2. Please reply with an answer! thanx in advance!

Linux Engineer
    Have you installed the nvidia drivers from nvidia's website?

I get 700-1000fps for a 64Mb geforce 2 mx440.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    ya i got the latest ones, the 5336 or something like the detenator drivers.

Linux Engineer
    And if they're installed have you been inside your XF86Config file to change the driver from nv to nvidia?
    Lansbury's Lido

First of all I’ll just let you know that no matter how much I tried I could not get 5396 drivers to work. In the end I had to install 4496.

Here’s how I installed my Nvidia driver:

I boot-up into runlevel 3. Log in as root and run the Nvidia installer (sh nvidiaxxxx.run).
    Then I edit the XF86Config file using vi editor to change the line ‘device = nv’ to ‘device = nvidia’
    Then (at the prompt) I type sax2 –m 0=nvidia (I’m not sure if this only applies to SuSE or is general to all distros)

Thats it. Reboot and all is done. GlxGears runs at 3700 fps
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Engineer
    I know a lot of people have had probs with the latest drivers.

CL40k, might be wrth ttrying to install them?
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!
    Ya i changed the xconfig log to meet my needs, like i change my driver from "nv" to "nvidia" i took out "glcore" and "dri" and and made sure it loaded "glx". Do u think it might be the latest drivers from nvidia? If so where can I get the older version of it, the 4496. If i do have to install it, do i have to uninstall the old one or do i just go and install as usual? thanx!

Just Joined!
    O ya! forgot to mention, i get about 850 fps in GLXGEARS, even in less memory consuming GUI's like black box and window maker i get only 850. With my onboard (intel 865GBF, or Extreme graphics 2) i got a steady 890-900fps.

Linux Newbie
    I have FX5200 Ultra with latest Detonator drivers and runs fine in games and got average of 2621fps (of course thats much newer, higher powered video card).
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    I tried installing the older drivers the '49 drivers but it couldn't find a mosule for it, strange, it worked for the '53 drivers...
    hey blue fusion what the specs of your system and what games (emulated, and not emulated) do u play, i've been looking for a graphics card that suites me for what i need and for what i can tell you get good fps in games? thanx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast