Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone! I'm new here and I'm fairly new to Linux as well. Fairly in the sense that I can install it, partition normally and get software running... I guess ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Alert with Hard Drive issues... you've been warned!

Hello Everyone!
    I'm new here and I'm fairly new to Linux as well. Fairly in the sense that I can install it, partition normally and get software running... I guess that's about it! Bottomline I need practice.

So why am I posting in the Hardware section well it's a long story - might want to take a seat - about a year and a half ago when I was preparing myself to dive into Linux for the first time I brought myself to a bit of a predicament. I got Fedora Core 2 then all four cd's and prepared my PC for Linux. Being a newbie I messed up bad and ended up with a hard drive filled with bad sectors. Well seeing the problem at hand the Linux adrenaline jump I had soon faded!

I found myself the next day buying myself a new Hard Drive, a better one well that's what I thought at first. A few months later I Linux bug bites back and I'm partitioning my Hard Drive for Fedora once again. This time by sheer luck perhaps I managed to get it installed! It was working! Eureka!! I played around for a while and then felt the urge to surf the net. I couldn't on Linux as I had a software modem back then so I restarted the PC and waited for the bootloader to come up so I could switch to Windows. Alas fedora had eaten the loader... or windows or something 'cos I couldn't load windows. I thought up front bad installation, no problem I'll do it again so I through the whole strenous task of reinstalling windows then fedora to my specifications and ended up thinking of ways to decomboobalate the fedora cd as still windows was dead! I did everything right! Even my brother tried and he's quite good at Linux, end result was the same.

My brother being much of a Hardware wizz said that the Hard Drive doesn't support Dual Booting. I being the good brother I am... believed him and forgot all about Linux.

That thing was around a year ago but not so long ago I had some issues with my Scanner. It didnt support XP so I had to install windows 98 just for it, it didn't even have any drivers on the net. What's funny is that XP and 98 worked normally... no issue nothing, I could switch to XP if I wanted or to 98! Now that got me thinking and I've arrived to a mental cross roads:
    1. Buy a new or old 10GB HD just for Linux and see if my PC supports Dual Boot on two Hards or
    2. get out that the old Hard (the one with the bad sectors) and get it functioning!

This brings me to my questions. I know you all must be thinking finally this moron shuts up and gets to the point! Sorry for the delay but I told you to get a seat!

Questions
    Can I install Linux on a Hard Drive which has bad sectors?
    Do bad sectors spread from one Hard to another?
    Is it possible that a hard drive cannot support Lin-Win dual boot but support Win-Win boot?!?!

I'm downloading ubuntu at the moment as I've used a little debian on my brothers PC. I know you must be thinking why don't I just use my brothers PC well its lame for starters and it's not connected with my broadband so it's out of the question as I'm thinking of going Linux full fledge!

Well there you have it I'm sorry if I bored you. Say if I tell you I'm bored as much as you are will that help?

My brother being much of a Hardware wizz said that the Hard Drive doesn't support Dual Booting. I being the good brother I am... believed him and forgot all about Linux.
    Muahahaha.... Nice one. He surely didn't know better. Tell him that you can have a quintuple-boot (or whatever you want to build) on one harddisk easily. So much about "hardware-wizz"
    Can I install Linux on a Hard Drive which has bad sectors?
    Do bad sectors spread from one Hard to another?
    Is it possible that a hard drive cannot support Lin-Win dual boot but support Win-Win boot?!?!
    First question: Kill the drive completely, then set up new partitions and do a thorough fsck check (or check the drive with some diagnostic programs from the harddisk-manufacturer. Usually available as floppy or CD-iso image). If the checks are positive, install. If bad sectors are reported, trash the drive. It's useless.

Second question: No, bad sectors don't spread from one drive to another. Never will. The harddrives are completely independent storage devices.

Third question: No. The multiple booting is controlled by so-called bootloaders that get installed in the masterbootrecord (mbr) of the harddrive, just before any other partition is being accessed. The Windows native bootmanager is unable to use multi-booting by default, thus third party tools are necessary for a Win-Win dualboot. If you install Linux, bootloaders like lilo or grub automatically set up a working Linux-Windows dual-boot configuration. You can configure grub e.g. so that it boots Windows, Linux, BSD and Solaris, all residing on one harddisk.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    Tell him that you can have a quintuple-boot (or whatever you want to build) on one harddisk easily.
    Okay... sheesh so much for asking my brother about hardware support!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    Kill the drive completely, then set up new partitions and do a thorough fsck check
    Brief me a little on this. Is this done via DOS or Linux. And by "Kill the drive" you mean fdisk delete primary and extendable partitions or something else and what's an fsck?!? Is this the weird sea green screen with boxes all around?! If it is how do I access it? I did it once in the win95 days been a long time since then.

Oh yeah thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi haider4t2 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by haider4t2
    Is this done via DOS or Linux. And by "Kill the drive" you mean fdisk delete primary and extendable partitions or something else and what's an fsck?!? Is this the weird sea green screen with boxes all around?! If it is how do I access it? I did it once in the win95 days been a long time since then.
    i think Kajok used word 'kill' for deleting all the partitions and format...
    fsck is linux command to check and repair file system...
    your HardDisk has bad sectors... i recommend you UltimateBootCD... it has lot of HardDisk Utilities.. some of which provided by harddisk manufacturers...
    download .iso image of UBCD from the this link...

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

burn this .iso image to CD using any CD Burner.. like Nero...
    you will get bootable CD, boot thru it and use HardDisk Utilities to remove or clear Bad Sectors....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    i recommend you UltimateBootCD... it has lot of HardDisk Utilities
    oooooo 180 more I wanted to get started on ubuntu now does ubuntu have any good harddisk stuff?

180MB 4 more hours I downloaded ubuntu in 5 days net not that good now a days...

Quote Originally Posted by haider4t2
    oooooo 180 more I wanted to get started on ubuntu now does ubuntu have any good harddisk stuff?

180MB 4 more hours I downloaded ubuntu in 5 days net not that good now a days...
    alright ! boot up through Ubuntu or Xbuntu installation cd... you can use fsck command...
    i dont know if it clears Bad Sectors...
    your HardDisk has DOS Format.. check manual for fsck.vfat
    $ man fsck.vfat

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First