Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I'm planning to build a workstation for testing software particularly database, business intelligence, dw, etc. On selecting CPU I hesitate whether selecting AMD OPTERON 64 dual core OR ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Seeking opinion on AMD CPU

Hi folks,

I'm planning to build a workstation for testing software particularly database, business intelligence, dw, etc.

On selecting CPU I hesitate whether selecting AMD OPTERON 64 dual core OR AMD Athlon 64 socket AM2 dual core. Referring to price structure the latter is more attractive. However the former has higher L2 cache.

Please shed me some light including their motherboard selection. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Can you post a little more detail on that, maybe a link? AM2 is the newer socket type so it will be easier to upgrade, but if that's not something you're going to do at any stage I would opt for the extra cache. Post some links if you can, I'd like to see the other factors like FSB etc.

Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    Hi folks,

I'm planning to build a workstation for testing software particularly database, business intelligence, dw, etc.

On selecting CPU I hesitate whether selecting AMD OPTERON 64 dual core OR AMD Athlon 64 socket AM2 dual core. Referring to price structure the latter is more attractive. However the former has higher L2 cache.

Please shed me some light including their motherboard selection. TIA

B.R.
    satimis
    The Opteron (AFAIK) is a server CPU, which means it will require a special motherboard and registered RAM, which are going to cost you significantly more money than regular unbuffered desktop RAM. What do you plan on using this for? If it's a desktop there's no reason not to go with a dual-core AMD64.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Hi folks,

Tks for your advice.

AM2
    AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor for Desktop
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...5_9487,00.html

Opteron
    AMD Opteron™ Processors for Servers
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...8_8796,00.html

I have no restrict-specific requirement on this workstation for testing software. But speed is required for compilation not "seat and wait" for long time.

Tks.

B.R.
    satimis

Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    I have no restrict-specific requirement on this workstation for testing software. But speed is required for compilation not "seat and wait" for long time.

Tks.

B.R.
    satimis
    You won't notice a significant difference in speed between these two processors, and the AMD64 will give you the option for commodity (i.e. cheaper) memory and other components.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants