Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, well the important things first: im running PclinuxOS, and the modem is a U.S. robotics 5610 i believe. i have it running right now, and i didnt even install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help With Modem!!

Alright, well the important things first: im running PclinuxOS, and the modem is a U.S. robotics 5610 i believe.

i have it running right now, and i didnt even install the drivers, but its running extremely slow. ive only gotten it to connect at a maximum of 9.8 kbp/s. when i read the manual, it said autorun will work on kernel versions of 2.3 or higher 9mine being 2.6 something), but when i put the cd in, nothing happened. so i clickedon it, and all there is is a bunch of windows .exe files......how am i supposed to use those? but anyway, i think that somewherei have to changethe settings to get the maximum speed out ofthe modem, or figure out a way to install the drivers. could anybody help me out with this? thanks

i should be able to answer most of your questions if none of this is particularly clear.

US Robotics has a Linux driver for download.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

ok.....ummm, well what i did was copied and pasted the link into the command prompt, marked the 3ComMdm for installation, typed in the root password, but when it went to install it gave me this:

<home/jmerr/.kpackage/LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    3ComMdm: Setserial utility not found. Modem port not set.
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial: line 78: /bin/setserial: No such file or directory
    RESULT=0

is it possibly because it isnt supported under PCLinuxOS?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    or maybe its because i have an AMD??

Quote Originally Posted by Dumah
    ok.....ummm, well what i did was copied and pasted the link into the command prompt, marked the 3ComMdm for installation, typed in the root password, but when it went to install it gave me this:

<home/jmerr/.kpackage/LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    3ComMdm: Setserial utility not found. Modem port not set.
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial: line 78: /bin/setserial: No such file or directory
    RESULT=0

is it possibly because it isnt supported under PCLinuxOS?
    Hey Dumah,
    I'm sorry about that, you're right, it is probably because you are using PCLinux, I wasn't paying attention.
    Just out of curiosity though, does pclinux use RPM files?
    Can you only install source files or what?
    And no it shouldn't matter whether you have an AMD or INTEL.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

dont worry about it, but i think im pretty sure it does...although im not sure what they do. when i clicked on it, it opened as a real audio file......is that whats supposed to happen? anyway, after clicking on it, i tried saving it, but i could only save it as a link, not a file on its own, so...like i said earlier...what i ended up doing was just copying and pasting the whole thing into the command prompt, where i was promted by an installer......but then it gave me that.

so although im not sure exactly, i would imagine running pclinuxos is where the problem lies. i think because its a fairly new distro im going to have a very difficult time finding the right drivers for most of my hardware. (on that note, i followed the instructions for installing my nvidia drivers FROM THE PCLINuXOS WEBSITE and still had trouble! i dont know where i went wrong, but where they said "you should see a list with such and such files" i saw no such files!)

anyway, im not even sure if the drivers are the reason behind my cripplingly slow connection or what.