Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am looking to buy a labtop, but I'm in doubt on the processor. Is a Turion 64 x2 as good (or even better?) than Intels Core Duo if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Core Duo or Turion 64 x2

Hi

I am looking to buy a labtop, but I'm in doubt on the processor. Is a Turion 64 x2 as good (or even better?) than Intels Core Duo if they have the same amount of GHz?

And how is the Turion 64 x2 64 compared to a desktop computer (e.g. a regular pentium 4)?

Right now the choice is between a Dell inspiron with 1,8 GHz Core Duo and a Packard Bell with 1,6 GHz Turion 64 x2.

I generally prefer AMD over Intel, but I have heard that the Turions run very hot. Also generally I find AMD CPUs do a bit more work for their respective clock speed. I do like the Core Duo chipsets but when it comes to laptops I would generally opt for a slightly slower chip as it will save on heat and power consumption issues.

The main difference between those two CPUs is that one is 64-bit (Turion) and one is 32-bit (Core Duo). They're both dual-core chips, but if you're worried about not having to upgrade in the future I'd go with the 64-bit chip. Most 64-bit software and operating systems don't really take advantage of the 64-bit chips yet but they will in the future, and AMD's 64-bit chips run 32-bit applications and OSes quite well for the time being.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    The main difference between those two CPUs is that one is 64-bit (Turion) and one is 32-bit (Core Duo). They're both dual-core chips, but if you're worried about not having to upgrade in the future I'd go with the 64-bit chip. Most 64-bit software and operating systems don't really take advantage of the 64-bit chips yet but they will in the future, and AMD's 64-bit chips run 32-bit applications and OSes quite well for the time being.
    Thats exactly my problem: I'd prefer the core duo, because I've heard a lot of great things about it (such as lower power consumption), but I like the Turion because it's 64 bit ready.

Do you know when 64-bit systems will be more common? 1 year? 5 years?

Maybe I should just wait for the Core 2 duo which is 64 bit, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Veli
    Thats exactly my problem: I'd prefer the core duo, because I've heard a lot of great things about it (such as lower power consumption), but I like the Turion because it's 64 bit ready.
    I'm quite fond of my Core Duo laptop. Powerful little machine.

Do you know when 64-bit systems will be more common? 1 year? 5 years?

Maybe I should just wait for the Core 2 duo which is 64 bit, isn't it?
    Yes, the Core 2 Duo is 64-bit. It's "out" according to Intel, but I think it will be a few months before you see any commercially-produced laptops with that chip. I can't really predict when true 64-bit computing will become popular but I can say that it probably won't happen until Microsoft really puts their backing on it. Sad, but true. Even though there is a 64-bit version of Windows XP out there, Microsoft hasn't really supported it very well as they're kind of busy trying to push out Vista. Once there's a 64-bit Vista OS with a 64-bit version of Microsoft Office, I think you'll see a lot more commercial software using 64-bit.

If you're on the fence but like Intel, I'd wait for the Core 2 Duo. If you just want 64-bit ability now, you won't do badly getting an AMD. I've had great experiences with them myself and up until my last laptop I've used AMD processors exclusively for several years. It's just a matter of what you're looking for and whether you're willing to wait.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks Techie Moe, your post helped a lot. I think I'll just wait and buy the core 2 duo. The one with turion I was considering is delayed anyway, so I might as well wait.