Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi fellows, I'm little bit confused about what choice should I make regarding my new notebook. I'm planning to buy one which is kind of high-end (very perfoment work with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Notebook for Linux...

Hi fellows,
    I'm little bit confused about what choice should I make regarding my new notebook. I'm planning to buy one which is kind of high-end (very perfoment work with 3D modelling, image and video processing, software/database development for desktop and web, etc.) ...

The processor I want to have is Turion64 X2 TL-60, but from many sides I hear very negative critics to that processor... Could you guys advise me about the better choice - Turion64 X2 or Intel Core Duo?

The second bottleneck is the grafics card: I'd prefer NVidia 7600 with at least 256 MB dedicated RAM, but many say the ATI Mobility Xpress 1600 would be better for a Linux notebook... Also an advise would be greatly appresiated here...

An finally - Sorry if my question is boring to you. If there's something already written/said about that thema, just pointing me to that's link would be sufficient.

Many thanks in advance!
    Kind regards,

sbogus.

Linux Enthusiast
    You may look at the Lenovo line of ThinkPads. They are now offering a ThinkPad with SuSE Enterprise preinstalled. This may save you a few headaches and yes, this is a preconfigured high-end notebook.

On the graphics card question, ATI drivers are getting better but have been traditionally very poor. They are very useable for any modern cards now but nVidia cards have always been the better option.

If it's any help using a 7600 on top of a Turion, you can probably expect poor battery life.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Lenovo/IBM notebooks

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    You may look at the Lenovo line of ThinkPads. They are now offering a ThinkPad with SuSE Enterprise preinstalled. This may save you a few headaches and yes, this is a preconfigured high-end notebook.
    Thanks for the recomendation, I've looked at the both lines (Lenovo 3000 line and the ThinkPad line) of notebooks, but nothing specified there satisfies my needs... And I say nothing...

What I mean under high-end machine should look like this one:
    -mighty processor, dual core, 64-bit processing, at least 2.0 GHz speed, good cache solution, low power consuption (well, Turion64's 35 W do fall in the "low power consuption" case).
    - 2 GB RAM
    - 100 GB HDD
    - mighty graphic card, at least 256 MB of dedicated RAM, the rest (if any) could be hypercached in the main RAM. The graphic card will be heavy loaded with wast amount 3D work.
    - SXGA+ or WSXGA+ screen, do not pretend to have "glare" or "briliant" view screens...
    - a light scribe dual layer DVD burner, or probably a HD-DVD/Blue Ray burner

The rest is not so important, it can be found on each laptop offered currently.

I've read the comments on-line for the new Intel dual core processor called Merom and probably that is what I'll need, but it still be a miracle - on the laptop market, there's no high-end machine by my means
    If you know where I can request such one, please tell me...

Many thanks for the information and for the attention.
    Kind regards

ATI against nVIDIA - Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    On the graphics card question, ATI drivers are getting better but have been traditionally very poor. They are very useable for any modern cards now but nVidia cards have always been the better option.

If it's any help using a 7600 on top of a Turion, you can probably expect poor battery life.
    bigtomrodney, thank you for the advice, if the price for a good and powerful graphical card is poor battery life (under 3 hrs., but more than 2 hrs.) I can afford it... If the battery life is less than 2 hrs., then a less powerful card should be used...
    So should I understand you, you'd recomend using nVIDIA-based cards instead of ATI-based ones? Which would be your 1-st choice and which your 2-nd one (the powerful one and the less powerful one)?

Thank you in advance.
    Kind regards

I think usually they use 4xxx series cards and some 5xxx series for laptops. The 4xxx (Say a GeForce 4800 for example) will produce less heat. Although you may get higher clock cycles in some models bear in mind more heat will be produced which ultimately means poorer performance. My inspiron has a 2.4GHz P4m and a GeForce 4400, and it can easily work its way up to 65-70 degrees celsius. That's obviously not good for the laptop and performance is terrible when it gets hot.

I'm not too much up on current laptop cards, but I hope this has been of help.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Using Google with custom linux notebooks high performance yields a large number of hits.

If I want a specific performance target for a box and require that Linux will run on it, I'll choose a custom build. Then the builder has the responsibility for making sure Linux does run on it and that it achieves my performance requirements. If I had a specific application in mind, I would let them know what that performance requirement was. However, I would have to accept that I'd probably have fewer choices with a mobile box compared to a desktop.

Best wishes in your search, let us know what you finally purchase ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    Maybe you need something like that: 2.1G 2MB 533FSB 17WSXGA 915PM DVD DUAL 1024MB

on costupdate store on eBay. I want to upgrade my notebook on something like that too... But I'm looking for a better way to do that and haven't made a decision yet... Nobody wants to change his notebook every half a year)).

Linux Enthusiast
    If you want the very best, have you looked at Alienware? Check out some of their specs and with modern hardware, getting Linux to run on it shouldn't be an issue. Worth a look!

hi there. I am interested in the results of your search. What did you find? What did you buy? What troubles , if any, did you encounter?