Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to make pushing the power button while the machine is turned on do nothing? I know this can be done from the OS since Windows does it, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Disable the power button [FC5]

Is it possible to make pushing the power button while the machine is turned on do nothing? I know this can be done from the OS since Windows does it, but can I do it in FC5?

Thanks in advance.

Check to see if you have '/etc/sysconfig/powermanagement' - and look at sections having to do with the power button...

In particular:

Code:
     ACPI_BUTTON_POWER=ignore

I don't have a file named 'powermanagement' in /etc/sysconfig. Maybe a SuSE-only thing?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishi
    I don't have a file named 'powermanagement' in /etc/sysconfig. Maybe a SuSE-only thing?
    I believe 'powermanagement' is a KDE thing (oops - sorry if I made a bad assumption...) -- but I believe ACPI is "across the board"...

I am able to cause the power button to be ignored on my machine, and decided to offer it for what it might be worth -- I regret that I have not [gotten deep enough into] ACPI yet -- how ACPI is set up and utilized by other programs may be a little different from distro to distro, but I'm pretty sure there is some way you should be able to set it up and utilize it in Fedora Core 5.

Do these currently exist on your machine?:

Code:
    /usr/bin/acpi
    /usr/sbin/acpid
    /etc/acpi
    /etc/rc.d/acpid
    Try:

Code:
    man acpi
    man acpid
    You may need "a more FC5" perspective (or an ACPI "expert" )...

I've got it working now. From reading acpid's man page I found that it stores config files in /etc/acpi/events. You can create a file xxxxx.conf with an event and an action (the syntax is in the manpage). So I created a file 'power.conf' with these contents:
    Code:
    event=button[ /]power
    action=
    Many thanks for your help!

I've got it working now. From reading acpid's man page I found that it stores config files in /etc/acpi/events. You can create a file xxxxx.conf with an event and an action (the syntax is in the manpage). So I created a file 'power.conf' with these contents:
    Code:
    event=button[ /]power
    action=
    Thanks - good information.

Many thanks for your help!
    You're welcome...