Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any such thing? Or what do you think is the most stable and rather cheap notebook on earth?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cheap and stable notebook with nvidia and ipw2915/3945/2200?

Is there any such thing? Or what do you think is the most stable and rather cheap notebook on earth?

I would say if you want a laptop with an nVidia card, you won't be looking at the cheap end of things. I find the likes of Dell are shipping all but performance models with just onboard intel chips. That said I have run XGL on the modern intel chips, and although not the best performance it does an admirable job. Wouldn't rely on it for that though.

My advice would be to go to a couple computer shops in your area and ask around. That's for the 'laptop-nvidia-ipw2915/3945/2200' question. As for the 'cheap and reliable', that's relative and hard to say. What is the cheapest and most reliable car on earth? In my experiences, a VW Golf mk. 2, but, well... you see the problem?

Just Joined!
    My problem is that I need someone's personal experience with some hardware. Someone to tell me, that all features work (suspend to RAM/disk, 3D accel), and that the laptop model has never crashed under Linux. And, maybe, someone who tells me that Ubuntu or any other distro supports all those features right out of the box (well, maybe except for the modem...).

I have had so many hardware in my life, and much of it was buggy and unstable. I don't want to repeat that. I'm fed up. The "ask around" method does not work. Most guys either have not the personal experience with that specific hardware or they are just not critical enough or only use a small subset of the hardware features...

Quote Originally Posted by kalium
    the laptop model has never crashed under Linux.
    Wow.

In the world of computers, there are no absolutes. Like the car analogy I made before, you might buy a car and it will run for 15 years without a hiccup, or you might buy a expensive Audi/BMW/Mercedes that breaks down twice a year.

Suspend to ram/disk, 3D accel., they can all be configured. But then again, it might take a while and you'll wish you never saw the laptop again. One thing you could do is burn various live CD's (Ubuntu, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, etc.), take them to a computer shop and tryout the various laptops, see what works 'out-of-the-box'. You'll have to ask someone who works there, obviously, but I don't think they'll mind. You will have to explain that you won't mess up their laptops, though

Just Joined!
    Heck! I did not mean to start a philosophical conversation. Please refrain from posting useless answers like that.

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    One thing you could do is burn various live CD's (Ubuntu, Mepis, PCLinuxOS, etc.), take them to a computer shop and tryout the various laptops, see what works 'out-of-the-box'.
    This was meant as serious advice and it's what I would do in your case. As for the rest, pardon the sarcasm but I see so many people who expect a computer to work like a swiss watch... which it doesn't.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalium
    My problem is that I need someone's personal experience with some hardware. Someone to tell me, that all features work (suspend to RAM/disk, 3D accel), and that the laptop model has never crashed under Linux. And, maybe, someone who tells me that Ubuntu or any other distro supports all those features right out of the box (well, maybe except for the modem...).

I have had so many hardware in my life, and much of it was buggy and unstable. I don't want to repeat that. I'm fed up. The "ask around" method does not work. Most guys either have not the personal experience with that specific hardware or they are just not critical enough or only use a small subset of the hardware features...
    Sounds like a bad romance to me.....