Find the answer to your Linux question:
I saw some guys sig boasting that he's not a newbie. Wahhhh. Well I am and I don't mind saying so. I need some help,guys I've graduated to Linux. and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compatible New Laptops

I saw some guys sig boasting that he's not a newbie. Wahhhh.
    Well I am and I don't mind saying so.

I need some help,guys

I've graduated to Linux. and I want a new notebook. My older Hp barfed when I tried to load Redhat and about 6 other distributions so I said to hell with it! Time to do some shopping.

So what's out there? What runs Linux? What distros?

The vast majority of systems should have no problem running linux, there may ve some odd hardware/peripheral that may give some trouble. WiFi cards are the big worry for most people, but for me everything from my sata controller to my bluetooth dongal to my extra USB card just work autmatically. There are a few sites on the net that list compatibility but I find them very outdated. Best thing to do is pick a system you'd like to use and post the specs back as you may find people who have used the hardware before.

I would also recommend using very recent distros. Old distros wouldn't have nearly as much hardware support as say Fedora Core 5, Suse 10.1 Ubuntu 6.06 etc.

Just Joined!
    I suppose I'm a bit edgy because I've spent the last couple of days trying to get my old Pavilion to accept Redhat. Big problems with screen rez and video.
    I m moving away from Windows for professional reasons-its time to develop in a different direction and I think opensource is the wayto go.

I'l welcome others input - what have you bought lately from Dell, HP, etc ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close