Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys! I have a SATA hard drive and a DVD writer on a an IDE cable on an P5B Intel P965 chipset. The sata hard disk is set as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation problem-dvd drive not found!

Hi guys!
    I have a SATA hard drive and a DVD writer on a an IDE cable on an P5B Intel P965 chipset. The sata hard disk is set as "master" based on sata slots (first or second slot are used to set the hard disk as master). The dvd is set as slave on the ide channel. Now, I have tried several linux distros and I get the same error that no media found. In all distros that i tried the dvd drive is not found and therefore not mounted so the installation is stopped at the very beginning and usually I get dropped into a shell. Please I need your help guys! what am i doing wrong here? any suggestion would be helpful, I am kind of desperate

Note: I tried to install windows xp and unfortunately it worked just fine
    help, don't leave me with windows

Just Joined!
    Most distros default to /dev/hdc as were the cdrom is, although most all distros also probe to find the correct location of the drive.
    You could try setting that dvd writer to master on the secondary IDE controller, or you could specify where the cdrom is on bootup of the install CD. Each distro has there own way of doing this so you will just need to follow the on screen instructions on how to look up which options are available, usually F1 key.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Zero-0-Effect for your reply!
    I tried having the dvd writer as master but then the motherboard wasn't recognizing it so could not boot from it
    I even tried to manually mount the dvd drive for some distros (tried from hda to hdh) but still the same thing.
    Myabe I have to setup something properly in the BIOS! I have tried changing stuff there, SATA options where I currently set my SATA as IDE but still no result. Maybe I have to pass some parameters to the boot kernel, probably not booting the right one?
    thanks in advance!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Might try setting the SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS, this might get that dvdrom to recognize. Kernel 2.6.18 seems to be the first kernel that will support the 965 chipset fully. If you have a USB cdrom drive that will work for installing.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero-0-Effect
    Might try setting the SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS, this might get that dvdrom to recognize.
    I tried that and the motherboard recognizes it, but still unable to install linux, the same error...no media found!

Kernel 2.6.18 seems to be the first kernel that will support the 965 chipset fully. If you have a USB cdrom drive that will work for installing.
    That means that I will have to wait for a long time to try Kernel 2.6.18...!

Thanks!