Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get my Dell W2306C LCD Monitor/TV to work with Linux (I'm running Fedora Core 5). I'm a Linux novice, and am getting to my wits end. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding LCD monitor's native resolution to preferences

I'm trying to get my Dell W2306C LCD Monitor/TV to work with Linux (I'm running Fedora Core 5). I'm a Linux novice, and am getting to my wits end.

The monitor's native resolution is 1360x768 and my video card is Intel 825865G. I was able to get it looking good in Windows (I have dual boot) so I downloaded Powerstrip to get the Modeline to add to the Xconf file. That line is:

1360x768 85.500 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 777 795 +hsync +vsync

I have the Screen section set to use only "1360x768."

The problem is that the screen resolution is set to 1600x1200 and there is no option to set it to 1360x768. Any ideas how I can add the native resolution to the Screen Resolution Preferences?

The other problem (perhaps related?) is that if I boot up with the LCD monitor hooked up, at the login screen & afterwards I get a blank screen stating that I need to be in 1360x768. If I boot up using my CRT monitor and switch, then the LCD monitor works (albeit not in the right resolution).

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf with gedit, pico or vim

and add the desired resolution under

Section "Screen"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 32 (Or whatever)
    Modes ====HERE======
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Well, that's what I did (per my original posting), which is how I got it to display on the monitor at all. But the list of resolutions that are available don't include the odd-ball 1360x768.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Simenzo
    The monitor's native resolution is 1360x768 and my video card is Intel 825865G.

[...]

The problem is that the screen resolution is set to 1600x1200 and there is no option to set it to 1360x768. Any ideas how I can add the native resolution to the Screen Resolution Preferences?
    The solution for me was this wonderful tool :
    http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee