Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to install a nice easy to use kernel on my old laptop for terminal/educational purposes, the laptop specs are as below. Model/Make: KTX 1000 CPU- 200Mhz Pentium ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Low memory causing issues.

I would like to install a nice easy to use kernel on my old laptop for terminal/educational purposes, the laptop specs are as below.

Model/Make: KTX 1000
    CPU- 200Mhz Pentium MMX
    31.7Mb RAM
    VGA, CD-ROM etc.

I have tried to install a few distros including the new xubuntu/debian grub(which failed)/slackware 10.1 and still I am getting errors that my little 31Mbs of RAM is insufficient. I guess what I would like to know is where can I find out how to install just the kernel or maybe even a really light low mem distro with gNOME or KDE so I can have the desktop functionality.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tyson.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Its probably impossible to run KDE or GNOME where you have such low memory. The problem is not the kernel here, but the distro. You need a distro like Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux. Other distros may install fine, but you would need to install lightweight Window managers such as fluxbox instead of KDE or GNOME.

Just Joined!
    I have heard of DSLinux before but I have never tested it out on this machine, but tonight I will be looking into both these suggestions.

Thanks for the help!