Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I hope to be in-topic here, I neeed a new pc, my old AMD 900 Mhz (running Ubuntu 6.06) it's slow to manage large multimedia files and I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help me to choose a new desktop pc

Hi,
    I hope to be in-topic here, I neeed a new pc, my old AMD 900 Mhz (running Ubuntu 6.06) it's slow to manage large multimedia files and I want something more powerful and faster. I don't need nothing particular, with my pc I just surf internet, manage and edit audio files and photos and office. I would like to have a good 3D support to use XGL and the new possibilities offered by the next Gnome issue.
    Ubuntu 6.06 will be th O.S, I will buy the pc without os an I install it.
    I have composed an AMD based pc and I would like your opinion about the linux compatibility, the quality and the balance between the components:

Mother board: Abit KN8 ultra socket 939 nVidia nForce 4 Ultra
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ OEM Socket 939
    Memory: 1GB DDR SDRAM Corsair PC3200 CAS 2 Platinum 400 Mhz
    Video card: Asus EN&&==GT HTD 256mb Nvidia GeForce 6600GT PCI express
    Hard Disk Hitachi 250 GB S-ATA2 300 7200 RPM cache 8 mb
    DVD writer by LG

Thanks for your help.
    Tullo

Looks good.

I am unsure if the Nforce 4 chipset has great support in Linux. Hopefully someone will know.

That's a nice system you've got there. Especially the Video card, as it is a good chipset and PCI-E which allows for upgradability.

Apart from the chipset of the motherboard (which I am unsure about), it all looks fine to me.

Happy computing with that machine (if you decide to get it in that form).

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

nForce 4 has good linux support, SUSE 9.3 and 10.1 work fine on my brother's computer. Everything detected... (his mobo is ASUS A8N-E nForce 4 Ultra)

other than that, like weedman said, rest of specs look good and should work without any trouble in linux. Any particular reason why you are going for a S939 single core instead of a low end AM2 Single Core? (just for some minimal future proofing)
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't need nothing particular, with my pc I just surf internet, manage and edit audio files and photos and office.
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ OEM Socket 939
    A bit of an overkill for your needs imho. No need to spend lots of bucks on fast processors if you don't really use/need all of their power for e.g. clustering but only surf the web and deal with a few media-files.

Just my opinion.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984