Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi! who's got a dual (or more) monitor system out there? could you guys please tell me what video card brand you're using so i could come up with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

dual monitor system

hi!

who's got a dual (or more) monitor system out there? could you guys please tell me what video card brand you're using so i could come up with a decision on what to buy. i'm only looking for a setup that uses an AGP and a PCI combo, not the one's with 2 GPU's in one board on an AGP slot. thanks! also tell me if this combo is doing well on your system. i'm not a gamer. so no need to tell me how it could slow my system.. .

i'm using RedHat 9 BTW.. .
    Registered User #345074

Linux User

dual head

why not a dual headed card. ATI Radeon 9200. about 40. Awesome card. windows drivers suck and didn't work. but on Fedora it rocks!
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux User
    nah, i'll just try the PCI and AGP combo for now. i can get the PCI cheaper than the ATI radeon card. that thing costs a lot bro! besides, nVidia has the best driver supprt for Linux. coz that's what i was thinking on buying all along.

how's your Fedora coming along? kewl, huh? no bugs?
    Registered User #345074

Linux User

stuff

I though 40 for a 128Mb AGP dual headed card was pretty cheap!

but up to you. fedora works well. very well in fact.

although the dual head options in the redhat display GUI don't work for. but with a dual headed card you just duplicate your video card section add an one option rename a few things and its running.

I got an nvidia card in my server. I thought the linux drivers were awesome. it recompiled my kernel for me. v cool.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux User
    i was searching PCI cards on google and i found an ATI radeon card for like 500US$. i think that's way,way over my budget. i don't know why it cost that much. must've been a typo in the web page. hahaha...

i'm still going for the 2 video card setup.
    Registered User #345074

I've got an nVidia Geforce 3(?) in a Dell Precision 420 that has a dual head, as well as an nVidia NV5m64(RivaTNT2) that work allright together. The only issues I've had have been when there is something complex (OpenGL stuff) on the lesser card, the greater card gets choppy. I don't know well enough how the X server works to venture a guess as to why, but it works.

Linux User
    thanks for the feedback guys.. .
    Registered User #345074