Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I am running Windows XP as the main (most HD space) OS on my computer, with the latest RedHat distro as the second. (On a Dell Dimension 4500) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble With Sound in RedHat Linux

Hello Everyone,

I am running Windows XP as the main (most HD space) OS on my computer, with the latest RedHat distro as the second. (On a Dell Dimension 4500) The speakers, which are the main area of trouble, work perfectly on the XP OS, and worked on the Mandrake OS that I had previously installed. Whenever I put a CD in the drive it automatically opens up the CD player. (Not XMMS or any other media viewer, just the standard CD player) but there is no sound. I have adjusted the system volume, made sure everything was plugged in correctly, and checked to make sure RedHat recognized the hardware of my speakers. The strange thing is that whenever I turn the speakers up manually, (by the knob on the speaker itselfI can hear the music very, very quietly playing. I would assume it is a hardware issue, but like I mentioned before, they work perfectly in Windows and they worked in Mandrake. If I try to open another application, like XMMS, I get the same result. The CD player reads that it is playing the CD, the timer is going, but there is no sound or it is so quiet you can't hear it except for a faint, tinny whisper.

Just Joined!
    Open the Kmix (sound mixer) if you are running KDE. Set the volume knbs to high. Mainly the master volume and wave volume. 1 & 2 bars on the left i think.

Quote Originally Posted by badsam
    Open the Kmix (sound mixer) if you are running KDE. Set the volume knbs to high. Mainly the master volume and wave volume. 1 & 2 bars on the left i think.
    And don't put your speakers on Max volume....

Dit that once when I heard only very little sound...
    then set the mixer settings to max... and forgot the speakers.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Engineer
    What sound card are you useing?

Just Joined!
    Okay, I've figured something out. It doesn't fix the problem completely, but it does help a little. The basic CD player in Mandrake only recognizes my DVD drive. I can play a CD through it, and when I use headphones (in the actual DVD drive) the CD player plays fine. I was thinking if I could change the path for the CD player to follow, to where it by default played ONLY what I put in the CD ROM drive, that would solve the problem. But, it won't let me change the default path. I go to configure, and it has a editable box that says "CD Player Device" and it is set to "/dev/cdrom" which would be my DVD drive. If I change it to "/dev/cdrom2" which is the name of the CD ROM drive, it says:

/dev/cdrom2 does not appear to point to a valid CD device. This may be because:
    a) CD support is not present in your machine
    b) You do not have the correct permissions to access the CD drive
    c) /dev/cdrom2 is not the CD drive.

This means that the CD player will not be able to run.

But, Totem Media Player plays any CD I put into either drive, as long as it's configured! (And it actually lets me configure it!) Does anyone know what the deal is here? I guess, basically, my question is how to configure the CD player.

Just Joined!
    One more thing -- I wouldn't mind if Totem was the default media player for any media, either movies or CD's, but it only lets you configure it to follow one path at a time -- either the CD ROM or the DVD drive, but as far as I've been able to see it won't let you configure both, to where you could play a CD in either. It's not a hard thing to do, but it's still annoying nonetheless if you have to change it every time.

Linux Engineer
    /dev/cdrom2 does not sound right, try /dev/hdc if the cdplayer is primary device on the second ide port or /dev/hdd if it is secondary device. Also I recomend grip for playing cd's it is pretty cool and of course can rip them too!

Just Joined!
    Well, I installed Grip, and I have to conclude that it's the DVD drive that is the problem here, but I also don't quite understand why none of these CD playing applications can be config'd to play what's in the CDR drive. Grip by default plays the DVD drive. Neither one of the paths that you suggested did anything. (But, I do appreciate the attempt!) One interesting thing I've found out is that with headphones inserted into the DVD drive, it plays CD's just fine. But, without there is no sound and none of these music applications seem to recognize the CDR drive.

Linux Engineer
    From the sound of things I would say that your drive is not plugged directly into the soundcard. In the case there should be two slots on the front edge of the soundcard hopefully with a thin wire from them. these need to be plugged into the back of your cd devices. I am assuming that when you say it works with headphones that you are plugging them directly into the front of the drive? doing that totaly ignores the rest of the computer and acts just like a normal cdplayer, all it needs is the powersuply to achiev this.