Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear All, We have install the Linux with the CD writer and during that installtion, Linux has detect that CD writer, but now we dont want that CD writer into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem in Linux bootup after removing the CD writer from the Linux desktop

Dear All,

We have install the Linux with the CD writer and during that installtion, Linux has detect that CD writer, but now we dont want that CD writer into that desktop, so we have remove the CD writer, but doing so Linux stop booting, but as i restore the CD writer into its place, it starts working properly.

Can anylbody tell me by making what changes into which file, i can remove the CD writer and Linux still runs? I am using RH9 distribution.

Thanks in advance,
    Nishant Desai

HI !

check /etc/fstab file. there must be an entry for cdwriter/cdrom/cdrecord etc... delete that line.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    HI !

check /etc/fstab file. there must be an entry for cdwriter/cdrom/cdrecord etc... delete that line.

casper
    Dear Casper,

Thanks for the reply first and as you told, ya there is a line, which has an entry of the CD writer, and below that i also have added the line for USB drive, but it doesnt specify the type... so will it affect the CD writer entry? Is it specified that either it is CD writer or it is only CD Rom? where i can find that either it is a CD writer or it is a CD rom? anyways thanks very much for the good reply.

Thanks,
    Nishant

so will it affect the CD writer entry? Is it specified that either it is CD writer or it is only CD Rom? where i can find that either it is a CD writer or it is a CD rom?
    actually device-name for CDDrive depends on distro to distro... in Fedora, my cdwriter is recognized as 'cdrecorder' and in Ubuntu, its cdrom0.... no need to specify that its writer or reader only... distro will recognize device capabilities....

casper

Just Joined!
    HI !

casper
    Thanks mad,

I have tried so and it has done that i have remove that CD wirter and Linux has boot up without any problem, but one thing is if i want to insert another CD rom, then what should i do? cos i had tried so with the same entry in the fstab file and Linux still doesnt start... so can you please give me any idea for that?

Thanks,
    Nishant

Hi !

boot up linux and plug-in new cddrive. on konsole type this command....

hdparm -i /dev/*

in output, check the name of CDdrive and add an entry for it in fstab file.
    in my fstab file, line is
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

cdrom0 is a mount point in media folder

casper

Just Joined!
    Hi !

boot up linux and plug-in new cddrive. on konsole type this command....

hdparm -i /dev/*

in output, check the name of CDdrive and add an entry for it in fstab file.
    in my fstab file, line is
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

cdrom0 is a mount point in media folder

casper
    Thanks for the info, but are you trying to say that i should first start the Linux, then to plug in the CD drive and then to write that command?

Thanks,
    Nishant

i most cases, adding an entry in fstab file works. you have to create a mount point first. as in my case, mount point is 'cdrom0' in 'media' folder.

Thanks for the info, but are you trying to say that i should first start the Linux, then to plug in the CD drive and then to write that command?
    yes ! coz you wrote earlier that linux is not booting up after plugging-in CDDrive. 'hdparm' extract info of existing devices only.

casper

Just Joined!
    i most cases, adding an entry in fstab file works. you have to create a mount point first. as in my case, mount point is 'cdrom0' in 'media' folder.

yes ! coz you wrote earlier that linux is not booting up after plugging-in CDDrive. 'hdparm' extract info of existing devices only.

casper
    Dear Casper,

I have tried with the command hdparm /i/dev/*, but it shows me that input/output error and it my desktop starts behaving strangley, so i dont know whether this will happened for me or not? is there any other method to do? else i dont think it will be possible for me.

Thanks,
    Nishant

I have tried with the command hdparm /i/dev/*
    its 'hdparm -i /dev/*' .... may be its typo !
    did you add an entry in fstab and created a mount point accordingly ?

casper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast