Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought a modem that's supposed to be compatable with Linux. I'm using Redhat 8.0 and in my hdwconf it lists my modem as a PM K56 Flex HC:UNKNOWN. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] modem help

I bought a modem that's supposed to be compatable with Linux. I'm using Redhat 8.0 and in my hdwconf it lists my modem as a PM K56 Flex HC:UNKNOWN. When i probe for the modem it says it can't find one installed. Where can I find info on how to set this up? The flash program that comes with it is only for Windows.

Thanks for any help.

Linux Engineer
    This has been answerd many times before, a simple search of the forums will sort you out.

For example I answerd a simmilar query here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10439

I had already trid a simple search (actually I've tried searching for many hours over several days and didn't turn up anything I could use). I also had already tried the wvdial but everything I try says there isn't a modem installed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    what happens when (AS ROOT) you type:

Code:
    wvdialconf wvdial.conf
    ?

Please post the entire output

The message I get is:

Warning: section:[wvdialconf] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
    cannot open /dev/modem input/output error

But, even when I had wvdial configured it still didn't work. I got an error message that the com 1 port was busy and when I did a port scan with wvdial it reported there are no modems present. I installed an old 14.4 modem and it works OK, so Im thinking even though this modem is advertised as Linux compatable maybe it isn't. I installed it in my Windows box and it worked fine, so the modem isn't broken. Red Hat lists it in the hardware section as Unkown hardware Zoom Internal V90 faxmodem.

Thanks for any more help and if you know of an inexpensive modem that will work, maybe that's the route I should take.