Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got Fedora to see the nic, but now when it tries to access the network it gives me this error: nvnet device eth0 does not seem to be present, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nforce2 (Abit NF7-S) & Fedora Core 1

I got Fedora to see the nic, but now when it tries to access the network it gives me this error:

nvnet device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

my motherboard is the abit Nf7-S w/ an NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller, if anyone can help with a solution i would really appricate it. I have been fighting with this for a couplw of weeks

thanks mp3mooch

Linux Guru
    Hiya,

Try running "modprobe 8139too" as root, that should load the driver for your network card.

If that does not work, can you post any more info about your network card model?

Jason

Info on motherboard:
    The NF7-S, based on nForce2 chipset (MCP-T + SPP), supports the latest AMD Athlon XP processors with 200/266/333/400 FSB, (400 FSB support in version 2.0 only) and features new dual 400MHz DDR memory controllers that deliver up to a 50% increase in bandwidth. With the nForce2 MCP-T, the APU (Audio Processing Unit) delivers Dolby Digital 5.1 cinematic-quality sound and 3D positional audio to your home PC. By SoundstormTM technology, the NF7-S supports Real-time audio encoding delivering up to 256 simultaneous audio streams makes games and applications come to life. With cutting-edge features and ABIT Engineering, the NF7 series is the ultimate multimedia platform for the world
    System Specs.

NF7-S, NF7-M, NF7 Motherboard Test Report - Lan info
    INTEL 82559 *2 pcs
    3COM 3C905C-TX*2 pcs
    Realtek 8139D*2pcs
    Link: here

You can also try and load the 3com driver modules or the one used by intel.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I just remembered i bought the NF7-S ver. 2.0

Just Joined!
    The NForce2 Ultra chipsets run best with Kernel 2.6.3 or higher. I could never could get Fedora Core 1 or Mandrake 9.2 to work quite right. You might be able to update the Kernel, or just do what I did and use Mandrake 10.0 CE. All the onboard NVIDIA chips now actually work like they are supposed to...fast!

Just Joined!
    well i actually got the nvnet to work this is what i did.

1.) Download the .tar
    2.) ./configure, Make and Make install
    3.) modprobe nvnet
    4.) use network config program to setup the nvnet
    5.) Enable it

the only problem I have now for some reason is that on shutdown it freezes when trying to stop eth0