Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought a Marble Mouse yesterday to replace my ailing A4Tech trackball, and so far all has gone well with it. I need a bit of help configuring it though. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up a Logitech Marble Mouse to Windows defaults in Xorg 7.1

I bought a Marble Mouse yesterday to replace my ailing A4Tech trackball, and so far all has gone well with it. I need a bit of help configuring it though.

My current config, courtesy of another Arch Linux user, looks like this:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier  "Mouse0"
            Driver      "mouse"
            Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
            Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
            Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
            Option      "EmulateWheel"
            Option      "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
            Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection
    With this, hitting the left and right button at the same time is processed as a middle-click; the left secondary button is also a middle click, and allows me to use the trackball for scrolling when held down. The right secondary button has exactly the same functionality as the right main button.

This setup works, but it's not really what I want. I'd prefer the Windows defaults:

1. Pressing the left and right buttons at the same time is processed as a middle click.

2. Holding down the left and right buttons allows you to scroll with the trackball.

(This means that the left and right buttons would do exactly what the left secondary button is doing now.)

3. The left secondary button scrolls down when pressed, and the right secondary button scrolls up.

I've found a few articles on how to do this, but none of the configs I've found actually work, at least with Xorg 7.1 (which requires different stuff than 6.8.x). Could someone tell me how to do this in current versions of Xorg?

Code:
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
    This option should already take care of issue number one. Had you tried restarting X after you added these options?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by I
    With this, hitting the left and right button at the same time is processed as a middle-click
    Sorry, should have made it more clear that I've got that working. I'm just trying to get the buttons working as per Windows defaults, since those seem saner (for me, anyway) than the config I'm using now.