Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been searching a few threads on the site regarding wifi and because the card has no Linux drivers do I need to run the ndiwrapper along with the windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Dlink DWL-G650 Wifi

I've been searching a few threads on the site regarding wifi and because the card has no Linux drivers do I need to run the ndiwrapper along with the windows drivers to get the card recognized? As well do I need to change my network from WPA -> WEP encryption?

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta
    I've been searching a few threads on the site regarding wifi and because the card has no Linux drivers
    The D-LINK DWL-G650 has drivers for Linux. This card is listed in the "madwifi" supported list :
    http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility#DWLG650

So you can get it to work with the madwifi drivers.

If you want help on how to install those drivers, please post more details about your setup (distro you are using, as well as kernel version -- result of the command uname -a).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    TY antidrugue. I will run that command and post back because I don't know how to setup drivers and such in linux.

Cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    This is the information that command returned.

2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 #1
    Fedora Core 5.

In Fedora Core 5, you can install the madwifi driver like that (run both command as root) :
    Code:
    rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
    yum install madwifi
    Then you will have a new device called "ath0".
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks antidrugue. I am running those commands but yum seems to be updating everthing, its saying 'Added 5493 new packages, deleted 0 old in 20.75 secs. Looks like its downloading a new kernal version 2.6.18 too.

Is this the equivalent of Windows update? I think I get it, the kernel is most likley updating to reflect the madwifi install.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta
    Is this the equivalent of Windows update? I think I get it, the kernel is most likley updating to reflect the madwifi install.
    Yes, sort of. Yep, you can update the whole system like that :
    Code:
    yum upgrade
    Installing a new kernel is not a problem : you should always keep your system up-to-date.

Then run this command to install the madwifi drivers :
    Code:
    yum install madwifi

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Yes, sort of. Yep, you can update the whole system like that :
    Code:
    yum upgrade
    Installing a new kernel is not a problem : you should always keep your system up-to-date.

Then run this command to install the madwifi drivers :
    Code:
    yum install madwifi
    Ok, thanks...seems like a long download, will post my results when the dependencies are installed. Going to go change my router back to WEP instead of WPA.

Just Joined!
    Ok I've rebooted into the updated kernel and under Network Configuration -> Hardware the wireless card is listed as Atheros-Ethernet-wifi0. Now do I need to add 'New' device using 'Add Wireless Connection' because it does not list my wireless card anywhere under 'Adapter' or 'Device'.

A bit confused, I will try to search around for answers.

Just Joined!
    I had to power down using my power button. The latest version would not shut down and it takes over 15 minutes to boot. So I had to go back to initial install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast