Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have msi motherboard nfroce4, which have 2 network card, one of them is connected to the internet, the other is connected to other computer. when i excute this command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post network problem, please help me

I have msi motherboard nfroce4, which have 2 network card, one of them is connected to the internet, the other is connected to other computer.

when i excute this command
    # service network restart
    or when i unpluge the cable from the other computer

the computer is stuck, and the leds in keyboard is flashing, and no response of mouse of keyboard, and I should restart the computer to get it work again.

my system is Redhat Enterprise 4 update 4 (Krenel 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp x86_64 GNU/Linux)

this problem didn't happen in Redhat Enterprise 4 update 3.

I would be grateful to you if you help me to solve this problem.

Just Joined!
    I run linux in level 3, and I excute this command

srevice network restart

a lot of messages and codes appear and the computer stuck

this sentance was between them, what is the problem and how can I solve it.

"<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Oops"

thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bio_informatics
    I run linux in level 3, and I excute this command

srevice network restart

a lot of messages and codes appear and the computer stuck

this sentance was between them, what is the problem and how can I solve it.

"<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Oops"

thanks a lot.
    Not sure as I don't have enough info but both service network restart and unplugging the cable are causing the kernel to give up.

When it is all connected and running what is it that you do?

Are you sharing something across the network?
    Is something running continually on the PC which crashes and which needs access to the other one or the internet?

I probably still won't be able to solve it for you but someone might

cheers,
    Norm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    exactly, when i do service network restart or unplug the cable , system hang.
    windows box access internet through linux box(dhcpd server), linux box is connected to the internet.
    linux box has samba server.
    and alos I can enter shrae folders in windows box from linux box through network browsing.

as you ask, yes there are continuous services run in linux an should be used from winodws box,

is there any thing that can I do to solve this problem.

thanks a lot.

exactly, when i do service network restart or unplug the cable , system hang.
    windows box access internet through linux box(dhcpd server), linux box is connected to the internet.
    linux box has samba server.
    and alos I can enter shrae folders in windows box from linux box through network browsing.

as you ask, yes there are continuous services run in linux an should be used from winodws box,

is there any thing that can I do to solve this problem.

thanks a lot.
    I think that anything which is running when you do service network restart must inevitably hang.

It's like closing the petrol feed to an engine while it's in use - it's bound to stop

so what reason do you have for doing it or unplugging the lead?

I suggest that either you don't do it or If you have to do it for some sensible reason then

stop the running processes/programs which are relying on the connection, do the service

network restart and then restart the running processes/programs

Just Joined!
    you are right, but sometimes i need to do service network restart, such an example when i download multiple files from rapidshare.

any way, why this didn't happened in redhat enterprise 4 update 3 , why this happened when they upgrade the kernel version.

thanks alot.

you are right, but sometimes i need to do service network restart, such an example when i download multiple files from rapidshare.
    Well I don't understand why you have to do the restart as I don't know what rapidshare is or

how it works. Sounds like something is broken with it.

So my first suggestion is to fix that ( the problem ) not it's effect ( the system hang)

any way, why this didn't happened in redhat enterprise 4 update 3 , why this happened when they upgrade the kernel version.

thanks alot.
    Well it could be that something about the software has changed, maybe something like

timeout limits or some other change.

But you could always find out what software/ process depends on the connections and then

stop the running processes/programs which are relying on the connection, do the

service network restart and then restart the running processes/programs as I suggested.

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot for your effort. I will do that and make a script in bash to close all programs realy on connection and all the stuff for me.