Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to burn a few music cd's and also Underground Desktop. With the cds I've had to burn them over and over again before one finally works. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

CD burning trouble..

I've been trying to burn a few music cd's and also Underground Desktop. With the cds I've had to burn them over and over again before one finally works. I wasted 5 cds trying to burn one. Now, is the problem K3b, or is it my burner? My burner has been getting alot of use recently because I backed up my hard drive to disks since I don't have a DVD drive nor an extra HDD..

Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    I've been trying to burn a few music cd's and also Underground Desktop. With the cds I've had to burn them over and over again before one finally works. I wasted 5 cds trying to burn one. Now, is the problem K3b, or is it my burner? My burner has been getting alot of use recently because I backed up my hard drive to disks since I don't have a DVD drive nor an extra HDD..
    What speed have you tried burning at?
    I seem to remember that sometimes 4x is about max - even with super fast 52x drives.
    hth
    Norm

kbk
    I burn at 4x, but with the music cds I've found that if I burn at 48x (max for my drive) sometimes it works.. However, I've always burnt iso's at 4x because I've heard it's bad to burn them at high speeds.

Check dmesg for errors on your burners device name - for /dev/hdc
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i /dev/hdc/
    I fried one last year from overuse. I don't have any problem burning ISOs, even at high speed. I burn CDs at 48x and DVDs at 8x. Actually my DVD burner is 16x, but it never wants to burn at that speed even with good quality 16x media.

kbk
    dmesg doesn't display anything at all, so I guess that isn't it. I might just have my friend let me use his burner for a day or so so that I can finally get this sorted, or maybe take one out of another computer.