Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm a Linux newbie, just trying to get my ATI card to work on Fedora Core 5. My video card is listed as ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 7166. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question ATI driver -- installer doesn't work?

Hi. I'm a Linux newbie, just trying to get my ATI card to work on Fedora Core 5.

My video card is listed as ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 7166. The card is a Radeon X1300 but the selected driver is just a generic vesa driver. It works ok but it doesn't support the resolution I want (widescreen, 1440x900). I'm not bothered about playing games or anything, I just want to use my LCD monitor at its native resolution as I do on Windows XP and Vista!

I've downloaded ATI's Linux driver. which purports to support the X1300, and I've tried to install it as per these instructions.

When I run ./ati-driver-installer-8.14.13.run I get the following output:
    Code:
    Creating directory fglrx-install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.14.13..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ==================================================
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
    X Server:
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install
    And that's it. No dialogue box comes up. Nothing else happens. Any idea what might be going wrong?

Just Joined!
    ATI is S**T. I always have problmes with it. Try to set your disply driver to visa and monitory type to LCD with appropriate screen resulution (in your case 1440x900). you may get 1280x800 solid. As we have day jobs to do instard of fixing ATI's lausy dirviers, best thing is avoid them all togethter and opt of nVeda.