Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am running SUSE10 Enterprise Edition and trying to print to a HP Photosmart 3210 across a network. I know the printer works, because it's fine printing from WinXP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse10 & HP3210 Network Problems

Hi, I am running SUSE10 Enterprise Edition and trying to print to a HP Photosmart 3210 across a network. I know the printer works, because it's fine printing from WinXP on this very machine.

I have downloaded and installed the latest HPLIP as per the intsructions, and it appears to have installed fine. When I setup a new printer, it constantly fails to see the Photosmart 3210 even when given the hostname, port number and/or IP address.

Any suggestons?

Comp setup in sig

Just Joined!

Update:

I have now managed to make the printer work, although quite how I'm not sure, just kept trying the same thing again and eventually it worked.

Strangely though, I'm having problems getting the scanner part working. While installing HPLIP I was instructed to remove the old version of HPLIP, which I did. The install console told me all was well, and the installation was successful. However, YAST reports that HPLIP is NOT installed, and if I type in the consol commands to get HPLIP version, I get nothing. If I try the HPLIP installer again, it says there is a previous version installed which should be removed first.

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Just Joined!

Further Update

I have noticed that the HPLIP installation process has installed a menu item:

Tools > More Programs > HP Device Manager.
    (SuSE 10.0 Enterprise Desktop).

This GUI does everything, and now I can print, scan, check ink status etc. Very happy!

Strangely, YAST still displays HPLIP is not installed though. I'm not sure what's going on there, but then I'm not sure what I'm doing with Linux in general. Ah well, onwards and upwards.