Find the answer to your Linux question:
I seem to have developed an odd problem with my soundcard. I'm running Fedora Core 5 (on this machine) with a Soundblaster Audigy PCI (oem card) and on-board SiS sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unusual soundcard issue

I seem to have developed an odd problem with my soundcard. I'm running Fedora Core 5 (on this machine) with a Soundblaster Audigy PCI (oem card) and on-board SiS sound card.

The onboard sound is, quite frankly, utter shite, which is why I have the SB Audigy. Until recently, all worked perfectly, then I decided to build a media centre in another computer which was kindly donated by the boys at work. For this, I needed the TV card which was in my tower computer right next to my SB Audigy. Stay with me, we're not far to the end of the tale.

I turned off my FC5 machine, took out my DVB TV card, put the lid back on, and turned it back on. That's all I did. Honest. I didn't need to dick around with anything else, I just wanted the TV card. When the FC5 machine powers back up, Cedega cant play sound when I'm playing games. This, I thought, was very odd. So I did some poking around, ran 'system-config-soundcard', no joy. I even tried moving the card to another PCI slot to see if summat had gone wrong with the hardware. Still nothing.

Eventually, as I got more and more frustrated, I rebooted and started Windows (for the first time in months - you can see how frustrated I must be if I resort to this kind of activity) and the soundcard works fine - 5.1 sound, all channels, is perfect. So it's not the hardware. And there were tons of Windows updates, which just pissed me off even more.

Its at this point that I start to realise that I dont really understand how Alsa works; audio in Linux for me has been a matter of 'just plug in the soundcard and turn on the PC', and barring one install when I had to run the soundcard detect script, that's how its been for nigh-on eight years (since I stopped bothering to build my own kernels). I ran the Alsa mixer in a text terminal window, that had no effect. I selected each of the four default PCM devices in 'system-config-soundard', with no joy.

Does anyone understand any of this? Could you give me some pointers for where to look? It'd be really nice to get 5.1 sound working properly, but right now I'd settle for any sound.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thanks for the quick response - it's much appreciated. I tried disabling the on-board sound in the bios too (t'was one of the first things I did...) and with no joy. I just ended up with a system with no sound.

Just as you've seen, the settings seem to be right in the soundcard config, but nothing comes out of the speakers.

Any other things I could look at?

plug-in DVB TV card again and check if sound works. i know DVB TV card has nothing to do with Sound Card but lets be sure about this.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    plug-in DVB TV card again and check if sound works. i know DVB TV card has nothing to do with Sound Card but lets be sure about this.

casper
    Dammit - the one thing I really didn't want to do. Ok, I'll crack on with that and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers Casper.

Yep, put the TV card back in and I still get no sound, and I tried with all four of the PCM output types again. While I was taking the tv card out again I tried the soundcard in a different PCI slot too, still nothing. This is most perplexing.

OK, so I found it. I opened Alsamixer and scrolled along turning everything that could be worked on and off again; there is a setting called 'Audigy A' which can only be turned on and off - and the 'system-config-soundcard' tool turns it off! Turn it on, and all is well. So I'm fine if I dont use the system soundcard detection tool...