Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install a driver for a broadcom internal wifi card on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. I'm running Red Hat 9. I have the rpm file for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing a driver for an internal wifi device

I'm trying to install a driver for a broadcom internal wifi card on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. I'm running Red Hat 9. I have the rpm file for the driver (which I downloaded from the Broadcom site) in a directory called 'linux' within the root directory. I type:

rpm -ivh bcm4400-3.0.7-1.src.rpm

And the response I get is:

error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/redhat/SOURCES

Why do I get this message? What can I do about it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I have the tar file in the same directory. When I type:

tar xvzf bcm4400-3.0.7-1.tar.gz

then change to the src directory and type:

make

I get:

Makefile:18:*** Linux Kernel source tree not found. stop.

Again, any info on what this means or what I can do about it would be appreciated. Thanks.

The error that you are getting with the tarball means that you don't have the Linux kernel source on your system. You'll need to install a "source tree" (the directories, files and sub-directories that contain the source code for the kernel). You can download a kernel tarball to install at kernel.org or an RPM from your favorite RPM source.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I also have a laptop with a wirless broadcom g chipset. The only way I could find at that time to get it running, about 9 month ago or so, was to purchase a wrapper app for the windex driver.

I don't like buying just a software driver or wrapper. If I have to pay, I'd much rather locate a used (ebay type of thing) but well known/support wifi card in the linux community.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close