Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys/Ladies Ive decided to build my own pc having been thrown arround the old story of "Your credit is crap mate go away"... So ive started buying the things ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help chosing a motherboard!! Please help!

Hi Guys/Ladies

Ive decided to build my own pc having been thrown arround the old story of "Your credit is crap mate go away"... So ive started buying the things i need.. so far i have the case, power supply, and got a good deal on 2Gb of ddr2 memory.

Now ive decided to get the AMD Athlon 64 5200+ Dual Core 2.6GHz, 2x 1MB Cache CPU... but i dont know what motherboard to get???

The motherboard that i do get needs to be able to have this memory fitted:
    2GB (2x1GB) CorsairTwinX XMS2 Dominator,DDR2 PC2-6400,240 Pins, NonECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP
    ^---(lol i dont know what most of that means)

And im wanting to get one of the dual graphics cards, i havnt decided which of these to get yet but the motherboard needs to be able to accomadate this... as well as leaving spare slots for future stuff

If you could help please with any of this let me know... im such a dumbass when it comes to the techy stuff!! Cheers
    Last edited by DaButts; 12-19-2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typos

Linux User
    With a CAS 4-4-4-12 you are at the higher range of performance, briefly said those are internal response times. Your specs are quite heavy indeed, but then again my opinion will not hold until the end of this year. Anyway, Asus is least error prone, is widely available and allows for easy BIOS upgrade.

Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    actually yeah thats what ive been already told now.... but they have said to go for the intel duo option of cpu instead of the amd dual core... but yeah that helps... i wasnt sure what that actually ment untill now...
    Cheers

I'd say go for an ASUS or Gigabyte mobo, preferably one which uses an nForce chipset and an AM2 socket (AM2 socket is for the CPU you chose).

If you are a bit apprehensive in choosing components for your computer, why not go down to one of the local computer shops and have them build it for you? It may not be as cheap as Dell, but you'll have more choice and control.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I disagree with what the dude above me said. The ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire chipset is said to be one the greatest chipsets made for computer enthusiasts and is combined with motherboards specifically for AMD users(such as ASUS), and is one of the best overclockers in the market. Here's a detailed analysis of the chipset.